Siemens USB adapter

S7Guy

I was wondering if anyone has used their Siemens USP MPI cable in conjunction with a Siemens 840D controller, specifically while using HMI Advanced to make program changes and archives. I have a Process Informatik adapter that works great with S7 PLCs, but not so well with the 840D.

I'm getting a new laptop without a PCMCIA slot (just a matter of time, I guess), so I won't be able to use my 5512 card. But that begs another question: Has anyone used the 5511/5512 card with a USB/PCMCIA adapter? I thought maybe some desktop users might have tried it.

Or, maybe this would work, although it's kind of bulky: Express Card Adapter

Last edited:
CP5512 is Profibus card but USB adapter 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 is only MPI. More over, he required power from PLC connector.

I faced with the same issue. I find out S7-LAN MPI/PPI/HMI/Profibus adapter with external DC connector.

Wath you think about that?

zova said:
CP5512 is Profibus card but USB adapter 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 is only MPI.
No, the USB adapter can work with Profibus as well.
zova said:
More over, he required power from PLC connector.
Maybe you have nailed it with this one. But controllers (masters) typically have the required 24V in the Profibus port. Most slaves do not.

(sorry, havent ever had to connect to an 840D)

JesperMP said:
No, the USB adapter can work with Profibus as well.
Maybe you have nailed it with this one. But controllers (masters) typically have the required 24V in the Profibus port. Most slaves do not.

Luckily you are right!