Communicating between a SLC 5/04 and a PV+ 600

Yokes9

I am trying to communicate my SLC 5/04 PLC with a Panelview plus 600 touchscreen. I have created the programs for both devices but cannot get the two devices to communicate. It has to be a serial connection to the PLC. I've gone into the PV+ and set up the Serial port in RSLinks Enterprise Communications. I am thinking it could be the Tag names. Someone also mentioned setting up a KEPserver on the PV+.

Also I am a student so resources are limited. Thanks for any advise on the matter.

You need to make sure you're using the proper cable for one thing. It's either a C10 or C11 cable.

I wonder if your just using a straight ethernet cable.

eForce said:
You need to make sure you're using the proper cable for one thing. It's either a C10 or C11 cable.

I wonder if your just using a straight ethernet cable.

Bad Info, the C10 and C11 are for the SLC5/01,02,03 controllers with a RJ45 DH485 port. The OP's SLC5/04 does have have that. It has a DH+ and a RS232 port. Th OP needs to post the exact cat. no. of his PV for more complete help.

Last edited:
Wiring first

This is pretty straightforward. Let's begin with the physical link.

PanelView Plus terminals have an RS232 serial port with a "DCE" pinout (Pin 2 Rx, Pin 3 Tx). SLC-5/04 controllers have "DTE" type serial ports (Pin 2 Tx, Pin 3 Rx).

To communicate between the two you need a straight-through RS232 serial cable with female plugs on both ends.

Because your PC has a DTE type serial port, to connect it to the SLC-5/04 serial port you need a "null modem" type cable. The most popular of these is the Allen-Bradley part number 1747-CP3.

You can add a "null modem adapter" to a 1747-CP3 and use it to connect between a PanelView Plus and SLC, or you can just get a straight-through RS232 cable from any vendor.

The next thing is to be sure that you have the RSLinx Enterprise serial communication configuration done correctly. This too is pretty straightforward but can be confusing if you are using multiple serial ports or using both RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic simultaneously.

Post what you've done, and Forums members can examine it.

Check node assignment

A couple years ago I had a similar comm problem with a pv550 and a slc 5/03. I had set the wrong node assignment on the PV. If I recall it needs to be set to 1. Then I set my 5/03 as node 2. I was using a 1747-uic at the time.