1771 Iq16/a???

zxninja

Just setting up a test box for a plc5/25 and have a question concerning a power supply for the I/O's. I saw a 1771 IQ16/A input module on ebay. Will this replace the need foe an external power supply to run my switches and Led??

Thanks, JEFF

sorry - but -

no, this is just an isolated 24VDC input module - you'll still need 24VDC to make it work - you can read more about it here:

http://www.ab.com/manuals/io/1771/17712191.pdf

PS - is this the part (from the book) that confused you? -
Power Supply Requirements

The isolated input module is powered by the power supply connected to the I/O chassis backplane. The module requires a maximum current of 100mA from the +5V dc output of this supply. Total the current requirements of this module with the other modules in the I/O chassis to avoid overloading the supply or the I/O chassis backplane.

this is talking about powering up the "internal workings" of the module - not about the external (I/O) field wiring - the wiring diagrams included in the book (linked above) should make this clear -

Last edited:
Hey Ron, I have a 2slot internal power supply for the PLC itself, all I need is a power supply to run my switches and lights to test ladder logic I make. I was wonderind if this 1771 iq16 would simply be able to allow me to hook my input switches up through it...

Ahhhhhhh, just read the manuel, I get it now...so there is no way around it then, I need to wire a 24DC power supply to the I/O cards I want to use with my test box..thanks Ron...again

zxninja

This is a 10vdc-32vdc isolated input card.
Yes, you will need a separate power supply for your inputs(switches) and outputs(LED).
(How would the card be useful?) It would serve as a 10vdc-32vdc isolated input card, you can connect your inputs either Sourcing or Sinking.(Suggested Voltage is 24vdc)

The module receives its operating power from the backplane but the power that flows through your inputs and finally gets terminated on the module will need to be a separate power supply.
Depending on the specifications of your test box, you may be able to use the same 24vdc power supply for your inputs and outputs.

Make sure you receive the field wiring arm (1771-WN)with the module, the module is useless without it.
If you feel that you also need isolated outputs you may want to check for a 1771-OQ16 module as well.

Roger

Last edited: