Compact Logix 1769-L32E communicating to Panel View plus 1000 issues...

dcarroll1216

I am having a problem with a compact logix L32E showing values on the display of a Panle View plus 1000. My graphics are all there on my touch screen , but the values show "xxxxx" instead of numbers. I do not have access to a laptop, so I cannot plug directly into the PLC or the Panel View. I guess my issue is trying to determine if it is a Panel View or a PLC problem. Has anyone experienced this lack of communication before? What can I check without a laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seems like lost of communication. Has it been working before? or this is first time? If was working - check comm. cables, check if PLC in RUN mode. If no help - you need a PC to troubleshoot the problem.

yes, it has been working for a while now with no problems. i checked the cat5 cables, no problems there. it is running through a "hirschmann" switch. the swith has a fault led lit so i connnected direct to th eethernet port on the plc, and it did not change the problem. i did not look to see if the plc was in run mode. i assumed it is because to equipment is running with no problems as far as i/o working. the only issue is the lack of values displayed as far as, psi's, alarms, and etc....

i do not have a pc here to go online. they will have to call in a tech. i was just curious if this would be a quick fix without using a pc.

dcarroll1216 said:
yes, it has been working for a while now with no problems. i checked the cat5 cables, no problems there. it is running through a "hirschmann" switch. the swith has a fault led lit so i connnected direct to th eethernet port on the plc, and it did not change the problem. i did not look to see if the plc was in run mode. i assumed it is because to equipment is running with no problems as far as i/o working. the only issue is the lack of values displayed as far as, psi's, alarms, and etc....

i do not have a pc here to go online. they will have to call in a tech. i was just curious if this would be a quick fix without using a pc.

Your switch has a fault led light?
Cycle power to the switch.

Looks like faulted switch. But you cannot connect panelview and plc directly with the same cable. In this case you have to use crossover cable. If you are using original cable (straight one) your communication woun't work. So either - get a crossover cable or replace faulted switch with either - another switch or just basic etheret hub.

val_99 said:
Looks like faulted switch. But you cannot connect panelview and plc directly with the same cable. In this case you have to use crossover cable. If you are using original cable (straight one) your communication woun't work. So either - get a crossover cable or replace faulted switch with either - another switch or just basic etheret hub.

ahh... ok. i didnt think of using a crossover cable!

i will try that out.

thanks for all the replies.

dcarroll1216 said:
I am having a problem with a compact logix L32E showing values on the display of a Panle View plus 1000. My graphics are all there on my touch screen , but the values show "xxxxx" instead of numbers. I do not have access to a laptop, so I cannot plug directly into the PLC or the Panel View. I guess my issue is trying to determine if it is a Panel View or a PLC problem. Has anyone experienced this lack of communication before? What can I check without a laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There should be an information banner pop-up if the comms to the PLC are lost.

If no comms exist, i believe ????? shows up where values should be.
Maybe you are communicating but the values are too large to fit within the field width