Need Mitsubishi FX2N processor help

bginer

Gentlemen,

I have a customer with a machine controlled by one of these processors which is approximately 8 years old. We had some problems, now resolved with a thermocouple card last week, and it got me thinking about the age of the processor and how there is no EEPROM backup on it. What I want to do is simply read off the program, and store it on a hard drive in case of processor faliure. I know nothing about the Mitsubishi line of PLC's so I went on line and got the following:

GX Developer-FX (the 1000 step version)
SC-09 cable (well an OEM replacement from E-Bay)
Every manual I can find

Everything looks pretty straight forward, but what I need to know is if there are any little 'undoucmented features' that I need to be aware of before I attempt this. Hopefully there is someone on this board that has experience with this line of PLC's. Hell, if there isn't anyone here, I'm screwed! :)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Bginer, although GX isn't the greatest software in the world, it isn't to bad when it comes to uploading. When you connect in with the SC-09 cable go to the On-line tab and Read from PLC.

Do a connect test and it should then see you FX PLC model. When it gives you the option to Read from the PLC you will be required to tick a few boxes of the items that you want to upload such as Program, Device Memory etc. Then go OK. It will then upload the program. Like most PLC types it will only give you the Bit addresses i.e X's, Y's, M's and D's without any labels\comments if you don't have a current labelled off line program. In general haven't seen any "curve balls" that might throw ya.

Phew!

RPax,

Thanks for the information.

I absolutely hate going to a customer site and trying something I've never done before. I have enough opportunities to look like an idiot in my life already! Thankfully the customer has ordered a spare processor so I will have the chance to 'play' a little bit before I access the working processor. Nevertheless, you have eased my mind a bit.

Thanks again,

Mark

It is a good idea to tick all the boxes, this will ensure you get the data stored in the Data Memories just incase they have stored static values i.e. timer values in them (very often used with HMI's).

Sometimes they will store the comments in the processor but as this takes up a lot of memory it is usually omited.
upload is simple just setup communications & test connection then upload processor, tick boxes for the upload required then save the file.
nothing could be simpler.

Also, it will have no documentation associated with the program. If you can't this from the OEM, at least add comments to your I/O in the program off of the electrical schematics.You should also get a replacement battery F2-40BL

Give us a yell if you run into a snag

Marc

@parky & Marc,

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some more information on this. Good advice is always welcome.

Thanks Guys,

Mark

I think you are talking about the 1000 string download from Mitsu's website? Thats ok and will work for you but keep in mind if its more than 1000 string ladder you wont be able to see anything past 1000