connecting to devicenet

iggy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need some help please, I am very new to control logix processors so please be kind.
I am trying to connect via device net to check on some drives and photoeyes.
Usually i hook up to PLC-5'S using RSnetworks.
I am trying to look at devicenet components that are on control logix 5561 controller. I have tryed to look at the devices through rsnetworks but cannot connect. Do I have to view the devices using rs logix 5000 or is there another program I am missing.
My rslinx and rs logix5000 are the latest version.

Sorry this is a little jumbled up but I tryed to put all the information I know.

Thanks for any help.

You need RSNetworks for DeviceNet.
You can also "browse" the devicenet devices with RSLINX, going through your processor, and the DeviceNet card, attached to the LG5 rack.
To perform updates, you need the first software listed.

does your controllogix rack have an ethernet card? you need a way to connect to the dnet network, how do you do that with yours plc5?

Myles said:
does your controllogix rack have an ethernet card? you need a way to connect to the dnet network, how do you do that with yours plc5?

Did you miss this bit 'I am trying to look at devicenet components that are on control logix 5561 controller.'

RSNetworks for DeviceNet is what you need as someone said as opposed to RSNetworks for ControlNet.

You browse you way to the DeviceNet controller card, then go on-line, it will search the network and insert all devices it can find.

no i didnt miss that bit, if there was an ethernet card in the rack, an ethernet driver in rslinx could then browse the network.

Got it working now, thank you for all your help.

Knew it was something dumb, was using wrong program to look at.

There is so much AB software out there, boss is gone today, thanks for bailing me out.

As I said above Miles, you can "browse" the devices through RSLINX, but you cannot change or configure the nodes. I think this guy wants to monitor, or debug the node. You need RSNetworks for DeviceNet for this.