Control Logix Controllers

vettedrivr

I don't have much experience with Control Logix Controllers and I understand they can be programmed with a structured text language. My question is can a structured text program run in a control logix controller at the same time as a ladder logic program? If so, can they be completely sparate in the tasks they perform?

vettedrivr said:
I don't have much experience with Control Logix Controllers and I understand they can be programmed with a structured text language. My question is can a structured text program run in a control logix controller at the same time as a ladder logic program? If so, can they be completely sparate in the tasks they perform?

Routines with the Clgx can be one of four types:

tasks.jpg

A routine can be in Structured text and another can be in ladder, but you cannot switch from one to another within a routine

and keep in mind that "structured text" is usually an extra-cost add-on feature to RSLogix5000 ... the processor might be running something that you can't edit (or even monitor) unless you have the extra feature available on your computer ...

Thanks for the replies. What I want to know is can a ladder diagram run some things like lifts, conveyors, turn tables, (all the real world stuff) ect while a structured text program takes care of things like data from bar code scanners, math functions, and data table input/output, ect and do so at the same time in the same processor?

Yes. These can run in sub-routines and called by the main routine in a progam. Or you can schedule them in multiple programs as the main routine under the Main Continuous Task (most like standard PLCs, scans continuously). Or you can create periodic tasks or event based tasks and schedule your different programs under those.

If you like ...

Don't forget that in V16 you can create AOI (Add On Instructions).

The AOI can be programmed in ST, and used in any of the programming types. Rather cool.