PLC network connection using RS Linx with Dynamic IP address

ken c

I'm attempting to set up a network that will enable me to monitor/program an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 that is connected to a cellular router that has a "dynamic IP address". I was advised that I need to use a service called "DYNDNS.ORG" to essentialy point to this dynamic IP address. When using this service, you name your node something along the lines of "myplc.dyndns.org". First problem i'm having is i'm getting an error in RS Linx that states "unable to resolve hostname to an IP address". Assumedly, this is because RS Linx doesn't like my name "myplc.dyns.org" where it wants to see an IP address. Will this work with a dynamic IP address? Any advice?

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents.

I have had to deal with this kind of stuff so many times its sad:(

Specifically with satellite links.

Uno... It can and is done.

What I'm about to say is in no way only usefull with AB stuff.

They all the same...

Q1: Have you tested the system whitout the AB warez?

Can you access the router from the outside world, with a browser ... i.e. can you get into it?

Such as through port 8080? ... or whatever port is use to access its config pages.

That would be the FIRST thing to do.

If this works, you got 90% of the job done.

Q2. Is there a port issue with BSLinx? (Port forwarding is often the only way to go)
Q3. Is this link setup as a VPN? (It should)

Q4. Is your BSLinx connecting to a DNS?

Check this out and be back.

I have only used local HOST files with RSLinx, not DNS servers.

Start first by seeing if the DNS resolution is working. In a command prompt window:

ipconfig /flushdns

ping myplc.dyndns.org
Even if PING is blocked, you should get the IP address of myplc.dyndns.org in the first status message from the PING command, like:

Pinging myplc.dyndns.org [63.208.196.101] with 32 bytes of data:

I created a DynDNS account and got it to work with my home cable internet connection.

dyndns.GIF

I forwarded TCP Ports 2222 and 44818 on my router to the SLC to allow both the A-B CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP protocols through.

In any production environment I'd want some security in place, of course, but for simple testing I just use port forwarding.

Thank you gentlemen. The dyndns was working based on the ping results I got back. I have already forwarded TCP ports 44818 and 2222. it seems like RX Linx accepted the dyndns name that it was given. It seems that problem may be in some other configuration parameter.

Thanks guys!

Last edited: