DH+/RIO Question

dbowyer

Hello,

I have the following components PV1000 (2711-T10C8), connected VIA the data Highway with a Logix5550 with a DH+/RIO (1756-DHRIO). I would like to download the Logix5550 program to my laptop for safe keeping but I am not having any success. I'm not sure what hardware and software I need to complete the task. Any guidance would be great.

Thanks,

If you can communicate to the Controllogix rack, you can UPLOAD from the PV, through the DH+/RIO card. (Not Download)
There are a number of threads started with some important information that you might want to know.
(Using the PCMK card, Ethernet)etc are all options.
You can actually store your program on a std compact flash card as well, with a std PCMCIA card adapter, directly on the PV itself.

Can you give me a little more specific information. I have read through many of the posts but it still isnt claer to me what exactly I need.

Honestly it sounds like you need someone to come in for 10 minutes and do this for you, but you will need the following to upload the ControlLogix program.

The minimum you need is a null modem cable and RSLogix 5000 standard with RSLinx Lite. You can communicate to the PLC through the serial port on the front. If you also want to upload the Panelview program you will need Panelbuilder 32 software.

Greetings dbowyer ..

first of all, you want to save the stuff that’s already in the ControlLogix to a file on your computer ... correct? ...

big question: do you have a copy of RSLogix5000 software? ... if the answer is “no” then you’re dead in the water ... you’ll either have to buy a copy or get someone who has a copy to help you ...

next issue: the version (11, 12, 13, 15, etc.) of RSLogix5000 should match the version of the existing program in the ControlLogix processor ... specifically, suppose that you have version 15.xx of RSLogix5000 ... suppose that the ControlLogix processor has been programmed with version 13.xx ... oops! ... that’s not good ...

I second the advice from my distinguished colleague LJBMatt ... it would be a good idea to have someone come in and do this for you - at least the first time ... it’s not a big job, by any means ... but there are a LOT of little steps that have to be done correctly ... once you’ve seen it done, then you’ll be in a much better position to handle it yourself from then on ...

SURVIVAL TIP: in your first post you said that you want to “download” the Logix5550 program to your laptop for safekeeping ... actually you used the wrong word there ... technically what you described is an “UPLOAD” and NOT a “DOWNLOAD” ... worse case scenario: if you click the wrong menu selection it’s possible to GO-THE-WRONG-WAY and mess up the existing program in the processor ... that would definitely fall squarely into the “BAD” column on the giant clipboard of life’s experiences ...

moving forward: tell us more about what resources you have available to work with and we’ll try to offer more detailed advice ...