Cummins Power Generation

sgates

Has anyone looked into networking Cummins Generators to a allen bradley plc and if so where could I get Some Info On this on what network protocall do the generators use.

The Cummins engine should be using J1939. Below is a link to a J1939 to ABDF1 protocol converter. Their website can be buggy at times. This device maps J1939 data directly into an AB register.

http://www.renuelectronics.com/gwy-300.htm

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the AB PLC? Which model PLC are you using?

Keep me posted as a have similar projects coming up.

This is for an ongoing project to monitor our high voltage system and emergency power equipment. We will be using the controllogix platform and RSView ME to Monitor and do remote switching of the system. Our Emergency power is all Cummings Generators; there are about 25 on our power network. The data I hope we will get from the generators will be is it running, is it faulted, is it switched, and voltage and power metering. All Data will be for diagnostic from our shop is see things are working as they should. This is a big project and will take some time to accomplish.

Hello sgates,

I imagine you're interested in data for the entire genset: not only engine data, but also alternator data. If these gensets have fairly recent PowerCommand controllers like the PCC3100 or PCC3200, they have native LONWorks communications. The Cummins ModLON gateway will give you access via Modbus. Here's a spec sheet for the gateway:

http://www.cumminspower.com/www/common/templatehtml/technicaldocument/SpecSheets/Networks/na/s-1471.pdf

Here's a little advice based on our past experience... Getting a gateway to talk LONWorks to a genset requires a mysterious 'binding' process that only the Cummins techs can do. Every time a new genset is added to the LONWorks network, the binding must be repeated, and it often takes several visits for them to get it right.

So, I've gone to the extreme of installing one gateway per genset. So, once they get it working, it won't need to be modified in the future to accomodate more gensets. The ModLON gateways only cost us about $300 each.

Of course, once you have Modbus, you have countless options for getting the data into you PLC.

Hope this helps.

John

I imagine you're interested in data for the entire genset: not only engine data, but also alternator data. If these gensets have fairly recent PowerCommand controllers like the PCC3100 or PCC3200, they have native LONWorks communications. The Cummins ModLON gateway will give you access via Modbus. Here's a spec sheet for the gateway:
Hi John, check out this link http://www.renuelectronics.com/gwy-100.htm I know Renuelectronics does a lot of private label stuff and this looks to be the same device you are buying from Cummins. Renuelectronics in Batavia, Illinois has good support also.

Sorry about the narrow minded post sgates. My background is Diesel and I made the assumption that you wanted engine data only. The device John recommended is probably more of what you are looking for.

Kyle,

Thanks, that info may prove very useful. I suspected it was made by a third party, but didn't know who. Looks like a lot more protocols are available than Cummins is supporting.

John

Absolutely correct - Cummins use bloody Lonworks. Everyone else uses J1939. The Cummins Lonworks to Modbus RTU convereter works fine by the way. Have hooked Omron PLCs into variants of there convereters to different gen sets many times and have not had a problem.

Next time with J1939 I am looking at using an Omron CAN Open card to hook straight in without using a converter.