PV 550 & PanelBuilder32 V3.82

danielo7310

Hi, I got a problem. When I try to upload a program from a Panel View 550 with Keypad & TouchScreen, it seems to (or even, it does) do it, but when I try to open it, a messagebox appear, saying "Terminal Application does not contain Upload information", so, I can't see the program that the PV have, and I don't want to download it a new program without backuping the first one, because it's not mine, actually, I must do changes to it, it's not a new program. Thank you.

The application you have uploaded was originally downloaded without upload information. This was probably done to either protect the original authors' code or to save memory in the terminal.

I believe it would still be a useable back-up but cannot be edited.

You will have to recreate the application or find a backup file with the .pba extension.

Thank you Mickey, but now a new problem, I did search that file in my computer, and is not, can you tell me if you have it in your computer?, and if you, can you send it to me?

My OS is Windows XP Service Pack 2 and my computer is a laptop (I don't know if that is relevant)

Thank you

Last edited:
danielo7310 said:
Thank you Mickey, but now a new problem, I did search that file in my computer, and is not, can you tell me if you have it in your computer?, and if you, can you send it to me?

My OS is Windows XP Service Pack 2 and my computer is a laptop (I don't know if that is relevant)

Thank you

No I don't. But I have not encountered the same problem as you.
I just did a search of AB's knowledgebase and came across the above PDF. Sorry I know its not much help.

Mickey said:
No I don't. But I have not encountered the same problem as you.
I just did a search of AB's knowledgebase and came across the above PDF. Sorry I know its not much help.
Thank you, anyway.

Somebody have the PB550.ini file in your Windows folder?

I think that the file you are looking for may be obsolete. If you have no PB500.ini file then you probably don't have it set to automatically strip off the upload information.

That is what the 11 year old technote is about. Sure, it is a possibility, but I think you have already ruled it out. A way to tell for sure, is upload a panelview that you know to include download info and see if your PB32 app uploads it.

If an auto-disable feature exists on a more modern OS, you may find it in the registry.

Your best hope is to find an old off line copy of the application. Even if it is not current, it may be a good starting point to nail down features and tags.

Search your resources for a file with the same name as the one you uploaded, but with the .PBA extension.

EDIT: No, instead of that, do a Find Files *.pba on all accessible logical drives.

Otherwise, I am afraid you are still hosed.

You would think that there may be some decompiler that could take the functional program, and automatically rebuild a "database" to go with it, but I know of no such beast.

It would take someone with intimate knowledge of the PB32 file structure to do something like that.

After exhausting all resources to locate a backup, I would suggest that you try to test the program, monitoring the PLC code, and figure out the tag database as best that you can, and recreate it from scratch as a last resort.

Contacting the last known person to perform the download may be very worthwhile in your case.

Paul

Last edited:
OkiePC said:
I think that the file you are looking for may be obsolete. If you have no PB500.ini file then you probably don't have it set to automatically strip off the upload information.

That is what the 11 year old technote is about. Sure, it is a possibility, but I think you have already ruled it out. A way to tell for sure, is upload a panelview that you know to include download info and see if your PB32 app uploads it.

If an auto-disable feature exists on a more modern OS, you may find it in the registry.

Your best hope is to find an old off line copy of the application. Even if it is not current, it may be a good starting point to nail down features and tags.

Search your resources for a file with the same name as the one you uploaded, but with the .PBA extension.

EDIT: No, instead of that, do a Find Files *.pba on all accessible logical drives.

Otherwise, I am afraid you are still hosed.

You would think that there may be some decompiler that could take the functional program, and automatically rebuild a "database" to go with it, but I know of no such beast.

It would take someone with intimate knowledge of the PB32 file structure to do something like that.

After exhausting all resources to locate a backup, I would suggest that you try to test the program, monitoring the PLC code, and figure out the tag database as best that you can, and recreate it from scratch as a last resort.

Contacting the last known person to perform the download may be very worthwhile in your case.

Paul
Thank you very much, Paul, I think I will have to do the two last things that you say, the bad new is that they are 38 screens, but, as I said, I think I will have to.

Thanks again.

Is there any way to copy the application to the PV memory card, and read it via the PCMCIA reader in your PC? I know you have already uploaded the file, but sometimes there are other ways to achieve the same task, sometimes by fooling the system.
Is there a memory card inserted by any chance?
There are ways to overcome this.
Re-Write 38 screens? Are you nuts?
Contact Rockwell, or the OEM first.