Control Logix and ABB drives VS AB PowerFLex -

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm currently desigining a project that will have a few drives connected to a control logix PLC. I will be connecting to the drives and controlling the drives through Ethernet/IP and 1756-ENBT.

It is really simple to do this with an AB drive as you just add it as a new IO module under the ENBT card and Logix5000 inserts a ready to go tag.

I can also use DriveExecutive to browse through the controller right into the drive and configure the drive.

What I want to know is if the same ease and functionality exists with ABB drives on a ControlLogix? And will I be able to configure it over the network? If so, what software would I need?

Using ABB drives could save quite a bit of money on this project.

Last edited:
I may be able to help...

From a VFD standpoint I work almost exclusively with ABB and AB drives. You've helped me in the past enough through your posts. Feel free to PM me for my phone number and I'd be glad to spend 10 minutes or so on the phone with you, letting you what I've found over past many integrations...

Greg

I haven't done ABB drives in a while, but if I remember correctly, you have to configure the drive in RS5000 as a generic ethernet device. The control and status bits work like they do in devicenet, where you have to either alias the bits and words, or just make the appriate bits in the generic ethernet device.

Also, you have to use the ABB software to program the drive, or do it thru the keypad. Even with the ABB software, you must be local to the drive and connect with a serial cable.

The last time I done this the ABB rep said they were working on programming over the network, and it might have even been possible with the ACS 800, but it was Modbus TCP, not ethernet IP.

I have installed powerflex drives with both devicenet and ethernet/ip but my preferred one is is devicenet, i have had some problems when some motors are more than 60 meters away from the switch.

By the way never use the same switch to handle powerflex i/o and data for scada at the same time, so you have to use two different networks modules.

That one of the other reasons i preferred devicenet over ethernet/ip, save some money on the switch.

Alaric said:
CroCop, A UDT is how I would do it.

I know you have a bunch of drives over there. Have you used ABB drives?

I have an ABB in a stand alone on a 30 HP application. It has been in service for 2 years, & I haven't even bothered to open the cabinet. So far so good, but I haven't worked with them enough to speak as to how well they integrate with the CLX line.

I worked with ABB and AB quite a bit at my previous employer, near the end we were using almost exclusively AB drives because of the ease of integration. I have no complaints with the ABB's in general I think they make good drives.

I am curious as to why you have determined that going the AB route is going to cost significantly more money, I don't recall that being the case? Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples between the lines? AB's list prices on their website are generally out to lunch.

My new employer standardized on SSD awhile back so I am using these exclusively now. I really like the drives as well as the service from them. They do Dnet and ethernet as well however I have never set one up with a CLX, possibly another option to explore.

I used ABB drives with CLX but over ControlNET for several applications. Was the same implementation, had to add the module as a generic module in RS5000 and had to be hooked up directly to the drives in order to monitor and set up the drives. The software for the drives was decent and setting them up wasn't bad.
I don't know how you are planning to use your drives but we had a master follower configuration that was not properly programmed when the equipment was first delivered. We went through some headaches figuring out what was going on and why we kept popping torque couplings. In the end we found that the initial set up did not use the "flying start", and instead were only using a torque reference even at startup. So the master drive would take off in one direction and some would follow the with the correct rotation and others would not. Hence, we would pop torque couplings. Just something to watch out for...the ABB manuals gives info on how to setup for a "flying start" (start with speed reference, get to speed, then shift to torque ref). Once we switch over to this control method everything worked great.

bguinn said:
Also, you have to use the ABB software to program the drive, or do it thru the keypad. Even with the ABB software, you must be local to the drive and connect with a serial cable.

The last time I done this the ABB rep said they were working on programming over the network, and it might have even been possible with the ACS 800, but it was Modbus TCP, not ethernet IP.
We have several multi-drive sytems using ACS800 & ACS600. They are controlled by CLX over profibus. They are also linked with the ABB fibre for diagnostic monitoring. The ABB drives software connects to the fibre hub through their PCMCIA card. We have the PCMCIA card installed in the local RSView32 work station and link to it remotely over ethernet. We are able to use the full features of ABB's s/w without any disruption of the RSView or the CLX control.