SLC 5/04 downloading question

MGuenette

Hi,

I need to replaca a SLC 5/04 communicating with DH+ and RS232.
CH1 : DH+ on NODE 2 at 57.6k
CH0 : RS232

I have a plc rack and the new plc in my office. I have connected the slc with serial communication and added a new driver in RSLINX.

When I try to download the program into the PLC, I always have 2 questions to answer..
question1.jpg

I suppose that I have to asnwer YES at the 1rst one..and then I get :
question2.jpg

If I do that, I can go online and if I check the channel configuration, I have DF1 full duplex on the CH0 system.

Am I going to be able to use the serial connection to go online after I moved the PLC in the electrical panel?

Thanks
Martin....confused!

Well first off it would appear that your program does not use the PLC's default settings for the both CH0 and CH1 (DH+) ports.

Your application changes the DH+ port node address to 2 and uses the default speed (57.6K) that warring for Ch1 is the change of node address. Do not worry about that one.

Channel 0 on the other hand has a number of settings that could change even protocol. If you are downloading via CH0 (I assume) you would loose communications after download is complete. Check the settings for the CH0 if it’s selected for system under the general tab and the system driver is DF1 you may only have to auto configure RSLinx DF1 when your done. However if its setup for system you may be turning CH0 to communicate ASCII. If this is done your next available communication port would be through your DH+ network.

If you normally would use the DH9 port to communicate with the device from an office maybe then you should not have a problem when you click apply because if you loose communications with the PLC you can go online from the office.

However if the serial port is your only means of communicating with the PLC then you would loose comunication when you click apply this is where you need to consider the settings for the serial port.

Again if you view the settings for the serial port in RSLogix and its set for system (DF-1 Driver) after you download you would only have to do an Auto configure in RSLINX to re-connect to the PLC. If however it is set to USER then you would not be able to go online with the PLC.

In your system is the serial port used to to talk to any device or is it unused? If it unused? If it is used you would have to download the prpgram and loose coms with the PLC in order for your system to function. Again you would still be able to go online via the DH+ port.