Hanging a TouchScreen

Joe Boxer

OK a different question how would one put AD touchscreen on th interior wall of a house without a enclosure Put it Straight onto the drywall.

The simplest way I can think of would be to make a frame out of wood or plastic. This would resemble a picture frame. The center cut out would match the required HMI mounting cut out. Mount the HMI onto the frame then mount the frame into the wall.

g.robert said:
The simplest way I can think of would be to make a frame out of wood or plastic. This would resemble a picture frame. The center cut out would match the required HMI mounting cut out. Mount the HMI onto the frame then mount the frame into the wall.

do you think heat could become a problem?

I seriously doubt it. The HMI likely has a max operating temp around 40 C. It's not likely your interior wall temp will see that.

I would think that you would want to mount the screen in some sort of an enclosure, even if it is flush mounted to the wall. That way you can remove it for whatever reason necessary.

kittydog42 said:
I would think that you would want to mount the screen in some sort of an enclosure, even if it is flush mounted to the wall. That way you can remove it for whatever reason necessary.

well my plan is to mount it in the main hall. I really don't see an enclosure would be very eye appealing to company or my wife for that matter.

My main problem is that I have worked industrial for so long that a fiber glass enclosure is always the first thing come to mind. In my case I don't want a gray fiberglass box in my house's main hallway.

You will still need a bezel of some kind. Mount the bezel to the panel. Then the bezel can be screwed to the drywall, perhaps with molybolts. To make the installation less conspicuous, paint the bezel the same color as the wall. I would want to make it easily removable for quick access to editing and new downloads.

I would also think that you would want to protect it from dust settling onto it while inside the wall. I would try to encase it inside the wall to protect it. So maybe secure some 3" deep enclosure inside the wall that the HMI would nest into.

Why don't you put it in a utility room or someplace less visible? I can't imagine such a thing would look good in the main house, no matter how you mount it.

Use a white plastic enclosure that is recessed into the wall so the face of the panel sticks out just slightly beyond the drywall. Maybe about a half inch. Then frame out the edges of the hole in the drywall with some attractive moulding that fits tightly against the enclosure to make the whole thing look more aesthetically pleasing.

As long as the enclosure's face is as close to the size of the HMI as you can get it, then it will probably turn out rather nice looking. I'm imagining my own place, where all the trim, and wiring outlets (data and power) are white, but it should work well for a variety of situations.

Edited to add: Google, as always, comes to the rescue. Looks like there are wall mounted enclosures that are designed for interior applications like you are thinking of. I didn't dig too deep, but here is a UK based company that builds one of them:

http://www.rolec-enclosures.co.uk/enclosures/alucase/alucase.htm

Last edited:
I use a wood frame, similar to a picture frame as suggested and keep it in place with 3 dabs of poster putty. It is a different brand but it works fine. I also have the power running in the cat-5 ethernet cable without problem.
Home projects like this are a great places to 'experiment'.

What is on the other side of the wall? If it is another wall cut a hole in it to gain access to the back of the panel you want to mount and secure it from the backside.

Then cover the access hole with a nice framed photo or a Detroit Tigers poster.