Remote support of multiple devices

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I may be tasked shortly to configure remote(*) support for a site. The site has an isolated Class III (192.168.x.x) ethernet that is standalone, and contains 22 G.E. 90-30's, 1 Rx3i, 1 Rx7i, 4 motion controllers, all with ethernet//EGD. The HMI stations are Dell PCs with Wonderware, 4 ea.

The remote connection should have the dual ability to file exchange with the PCs (easy...PCAnywhere, as much as I hate to run it on a WonderWare station), but, it would also be very nice to be able to remotely download to the PLCs, without installing PLC software (Cimplicity) on one of the HMI's.

This is really more of an IT question than controls, but, hopefully someone has some experience in this area, and can make a recommendation on the type of 'box' I need. Security concerns, of course, and this 'box' should have an 'OFF' switch.

(*) remote, in this example: system in the Middle East, me in the USA.

JDBrandt,

Can I pick your brain as to why you would rather not install PCAnywhere on a Wonderware machine? Is there something about PCAnywhere you are concerned about, or just remote viewing software in general? We've used PCAnywhere and many flavors of VNC on our PC's throughout the plant. Haven't caused any known issues. There is a wonderware machine in the mix too...Just curious if you've come across an issue we haven't seen yet. 🔨

Greg

jdbrandt said:
I may be tasked shortly to configure remote(*) support for a site. The site has an isolated Class III (192.168.x.x) ethernet that is standalone

[/snip]

(*) remote, in this example: system in the Middle East, me in the USA.

http://www.dcbnet.com/datasheet/ip6600ds.html

One of these routers should provide a means to remotely connect to this network, but the key detail you've left out is what medium you are hoping to connect through (the internet, dial up, cellular modem, etc.). Without that you can't answer the two basic questions:

1. How am I going to connect my isolated stand alone network to this medium?

2. How am I going to connect to this medium so I can connect to my stand alone control network?

As said above it really all depends on how you want to connect. This OFF switch does this need to be automatic or is it just manual? you'll need some sort of modem, whether its cable,DSL,ADSL,cell,GPRS,phone, ect. if the switch is manual then no big deal just wire a switch though the power portion of the "box" If needs to be "auto" maybe you could tie a relay(through "boxes" power) to a to a tone decoder (and phone interface) so when you call a number and enter the "code" the relay will pull in giving the modem power.