Allen Bradley dl50 Dataliner programming

I have an Allen Bradley DL-50(2706-F11J)and would like to program from a personal computer, I have connected with a serial cable (about 10ft). I have a 98,xp,and vista computer all with hyperterminal. what type of software do I need to program the DL50.
any special settings or programming would be very helpful, thank you and Happy Holidays!

Brian,

You really need a copy of the DL-50 manual. The DL-50 is a Slave device and it can only display a message that is sent to it.

I read on Page 4-19 that "the Dl50 display may be connected to personal computers thrugh an RS-232 port. Either Simplex or Duplex protocol may be used in applications with a personal computer."

If you can't find the manual at Rockwell Automation, I could scan some of the pages and send them to you.

The DL-50 was often used with a PLC. Messages were sent from a BASIC module in a PLC, using a small BASIC program that sent the character text and Control Characters.

Lancie,

I seem to remember that we had this same discussion with another user about 3 weeks ago.....Once again we are in disagreement about this device. How many of these DL's have you actually ever used before? Based on your posts, you only have read the manual.

You can program messages in the software, and TRIGGER them using any device, IE PLC etc. Either, BCD, Digital or Basic Serial/Parallel port.

You don't have to have a BASIC card like Lancie talks about. It will always be used as a SLAVE

Programmed many of them in the past, lots of experience.

Is there a version of dataliner software still available?

I may have old versions we used with DL30 and DL40 somehwere on my old PC. I do not remember it being compatible with the DL50, but I could be wrong.

Paul

Everybody remember, this is a DL-50.

Other DataLiners have keyboard programming, or use a software utility, or have discrete inputs or RIO triggers for stored messages.

The DL-50 is strictly a serial slave. You have to send it a formatted string, and it will display it until another formatted string comes along. Use a PC, a controller's ASCII port, or a BASIC module.

Direct link to the User Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2706-um002_-en-p.pdf

Sometimes the DL-50 is used as a slave to a programmable DataLiner (the DL-40, in particular) or a PanelView. But the DL-50 is still behaving as a serial slave.

SNK said:
How many of these DL's have you actually ever used before?
Only one, and so what? Is there a contest to see who used the most?

SNK said:
You can program messages in the software, and TRIGGER them using any device, IE PLC etc. Either, BCD, Digital or Basic Serial/Parallel port.
I never said you couldn't. But you can't use the DL-50 to STORE messages, unlike the DL-20. If you want to get technical, you don't really have to have the software to send messages to it, although it makes it much easier.

SNK said:
You don't have to have a BASIC card like Lancie talks about. It will always be used as a SLAVE
I never said you HAD to have the BASIC module. It is always a slave, and one of the most common ways to use it was with a BASIC module.

SNK said:
Programmed many of them in the past, lots of experience.
Good for you, but you really weren't "programming" the DL-50, as that is impossible.

Last edited: