Used control cabinets

A-D does sell (Wiegmann) enclosures that large, but no disconnect enclosures (Rick's # is a disconnect enclosure). Too bad, Their prices are great! (as expected)... :cool:

Since my main enclosures are always disconnect enclosures (and therefore I choose Hoffman), I use Hoffman throughout. Yes, Hoffman is expensive, but IMO they are the best quality. Their Concept line is my favorite.

Rick, I wouldn't bother pursuing this. Even if you DO find a used enclosure of correct size, chances are it will not be useable (for the exact reason Tim mentions). The time required to 'salvage' a used enclosure will wind up costing more than just buying new. A slightly cheaper alternative to Hoffman might be Hammond. Their 2UD726118FA is physically equivalent to the Hoffman you're looking for. And it won't have all those useless cutouts in it!... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Maybe you are all presuming that he needs the 'used' cabinet to make a new control cabinet.

Maybe like me he wants it as a store cupboard. (hehehehe)

I have several old large control cabinets in the workshop that act as store cupboards - very handy they are too :p

Machinery Dealers

I don't have a web link here at home, but there is an entire
sub-world of second-source machinery dealers out there that
buy and sell this stuff all the time.

In an area like yours, there have to be a bunch.

I use Eurobex, pricing is great & quality is comparable to Hoffman. The 5100 & 5412 series is almost identical to Hoffman's Concept line. Also the backpanel comes with the enclosure. God all of a sudden I feel like a...SALESMAN!! :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I was looking for that particular enclosure for a reason. We just got in a machine to refurbish for a customer. One of the things we are doing is replacing some AB servos with Indramat. When quoting, I made the little mistake of not measuring the depth of the enclosure. You can guess what happened. I needed a deeper enclosure. I am going to just pull out the old sub-panel and move it to a bigger home.

Hoffman wanted about 2 grand for a new box. I posted after hearing this. I found a new SCE one for $1100. Like you guys said the labor required for re-fitting a used enclosure would likely more than make up the price difference.

Again, thanks.

No, Thank YOU!...

Whaddya know? You come here looking for used enclosures, and I benefit by finding a new enclosure manufacturer.

IOW, thanks for the lead on the Saginaw enclosures... I didn't know 'bout them!... (y)

Wow, you need an 18" deep enclosure for the drives? I complain when I need to use a 10 or 12" deep box to fit drives... :unsure:

beerchug

-Eric

Actually I needed a 12.5" deep drive. 18 is the next size.

We use SCE a lot. We have been happy with them. I was originally looking to replace the Hoffman because of customer spec. We were able to sub the SCE.

I've been using SCE (Saginaw Contyrol & Engineering) for years for SS enclosures - they are hard to beat. I have been using Hammond for NEMA 12 and found them very competitive.