Simple AC circuit

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,
I was solving simple AC circuit given in this figure. After I solved it manually, I tried to check and confirm results with Electronics Workbench Multisim 8. In the attached picture you can actually what ampermeters will show, but the problem is that I got exactly opposite results.
Circuit.jpg

Current RMS in upper rung was 11.4 A, while current in bottom rung was 9.56 A. At first I thought I made mistake when solving, but tried several times and with different methods always getting same results. Now, I think problem is with this software. If you can solve this manually or you have some kind of simulation software, please do it so we can compare results...

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrate.

Last edited:
I solved this long hand and made the upper current larger than the lower. By changing the sign on the lower voltage source you can flip the result so that the lower rung now has the greater current.

Is there any significance as to where the V2 is located on the diagrams for the simulation ? (i.e. can the V2 be located near the positive side of the voltage source)

panic mode said:
here is the screenshot (to integrate, keep Ctrl button pressed and then click on signal label of selected trace):
Panic mode, I believe, your simulation showed different result because you use 120 V as maximum value (peak). 120 is RMS according to their simulations.
I think there is a problem how EWB (El. WorkBench) internally calculate these currents. It is not according my textbooks and this can be very misleading.
I noticed same thing first time I tried to work with EWB.

Really strange...

Last edited:
Pandiani - can you plot the voltages at nodes 3 and 5 ?

Node 3 is the reference sine wave
Node 5 should be a sine wave at -120 degrees

The voltage plots are shown correctly, but the currents are calculated as if V2's phase angle is +120 degrees.