CLX\Logix5000 Upgrades (15 vs. 16)

akreel

I've just spent the past four years working on a project, using CLX Version 13 firmware. Now, I'm getting ready to start a new project, and I'm trying to weigh my options. Do I jump to 16 to avoid tech support problems, 15 because it should be proven, or stick with 13 because I know what works?

I think version 15 has been around long enough that I can trust it, and I've seen features I like. I want to ask an open ended question here. What do users think of the 15 and 16 software and firmware? Have you discovered any pitfalls?

I know that version 16 redundancy is not available yet, and we're going to want it. We're also going to be using function block programming along with ladder.

I'd also like to try out the add-on function blocks in version 16. Do they work ok? Are they safe to edit online? Are there any other surprises there?

Be honest. What are you dealing with in these releases? What's improved?

Last edited:
We are using 16. It has gone through some fairly rigorous testing and is already at a minor release number so we have found it stable. Redundancy will be a big one for you. The RA website has release notes for the versions. Well worth a read. Regards Alan
PS Congrats on the PE

I find that if you are comfortable with V13, then V15 should be a cake walk. I do install V15 as a standard in my plant now.

As for V16, there are a lot of differences. I am not yet ready to deploy any V16 releases in my plant yet.
The latest issue that I have found is that L55 and V16 stop working after a period of time. This has yet to be resolved. Just too many issues that come up. I'm probably going to wait for V17.

By the way - AOI's cannot be edited online, only offline.

L55 and V16 stop working after a period of time. This has yet to be resolved.

It's the same issue that the 1756-L55 controllers went through two years ago with the CRC memory checksum function that incorrectly flags the application program as corrupt after 3-6 months of runtime. It affects 1756-L55 and 1794-L34 controllers only.

RA Knowledgebase Document # 38430 (the original v15 problem)

RA Knowledgebase Document # 45709 (the v16 notification)

The problem is fixed in 15.05 for the -L55, and in 15.06 for the -L34. It is patchable in 16.x but not yet permanently fixed. It does not affect 1756-L61/62/63/64 controllers.

I run only 15.05 firmware on my -L55 controllers. I haven't upgraded any of them to Version 16 because I don't find a strong need for any of the new features.

The CRC Diagnostic problem was repaired before the Redundancy firmware for the 1756-L55 controllers was released, so it's not a consideration for your redundant controllers.

Eddie Willers said:
It's the same issue that the 1756-L55 controllers went through two years ago with the CRC memory checksum function that incorrectly flags the application program as corrupt after 3-6 months of runtime. It affects 1756-L55 and 1794-L34 controllers only.

RA Knowledgebase Document # 38430 (the original v15 problem)

RA Knowledgebase Document # 45709 (the v16 notification)

The problem is fixed in 15.05 for the -L55, and in 15.06 for the -L34. It is patchable in 16.x but not yet permanently fixed. It does not affect 1756-L61/62/63/64 controllers.

I run only 15.05 firmware on my -L55 controllers. I haven't upgraded any of them to Version 16 because I don't find a strong need for any of the new features.

The CRC Diagnostic problem was repaired before the Redundancy firmware for the 1756-L55 controllers was released, so it's not a consideration for your redundant controllers.

The whole point was that there was not complete robust testing of V16 prior to release. This is the typical mode of releases for vendors - even (dare I say it) Microsoft. Basically I will not install latest versions of firmware - I will use the current - 1 versions.

What you will really like abt ver. 16 are the Add-On Instructions. Get rid of writing all that redundant logic over and over again and let's welcome some OOP. It was TIME!!! :)

Also, ver. 16 bundle is out at Rockwell's site for redundancy. They just ramped all redundancy modules' firmware rev. to the next level; I haven't used ver 16. redundancy yet but if you want to stick with ver. 15, then the old redundancy bundle will be the way to go! Good luck!