remote OPC RSLinx

andijkt75

I tried to use remote OPC using RSLinx gateway. It worked but It seems that the RSlinx must be installed at client too. Is that right? or is that possible only installed RSlinx at server side?

what are you serving? the server should really handle all of RSlinx OPC stuff and serve up whatever you need to the client , but your description is very vague.

Hi andijkt75

You should be able to have RSLinx only installed on the server. There are some security settings depending on the OS that you are using that needs to be changed to allow the exchange of the data via OPC to the client machine.

Depending on the solution you require it might be easier to have the OPC client application on the same machine as the RSLinx server with a application updating a local database with the data in the OPC server. On the client machine you can then query directly to the database.

Andre

Here is a similar thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=30671

Last edited:
GURU, I just tried to retrieve tags from remote OPC Server RSLinx, to be displayed in different computer (client). But always failed to connect to remote OPC server when I choose remote OPC server from infilink.
So I tried to install RSLinx at clint site and make new topic from remote opc server (ethernet link). Then the infilink use the new 'local' topic.

still cannot work

Andre,
I tried to reconfigure again, I tried to connect the client (infilink) in client pc without rslinx, but the infilink cannot connect to remote OPC.
But when I installed rslinx, and run RSWHO, the client rslinx can detect remote RSlinx in Linx Ethernet section. And I can make a new local topic using the remoteOPC.

What's wrong with my system? I tried infilink or OPC quick client from KEP, they could not connect or even detect the remote OPC RSlinx.

runx999 said:
Hi andijkt75

You should be able to have RSLinx only installed on the server. There are some security settings depending on the OS that you are using that needs to be changed to allow the exchange of the data via OPC to the client machine.

Depending on the solution you require it might be easier to have the OPC client application on the same machine as the RSLinx server with a application updating a local database with the data in the OPC server. On the client machine you can then query directly to the database.

Andre

Here is a similar thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=30671