Logix5000 and DeviceNet question

Skip Willis

I recently went to work at a facility that has a lot of DeviceNet equiped fixtures in their welding cells. I have noticed that the programmer has taken the addresses in the devicenet boxes (N80:00/XX) and did what one fellow called an "Alias" where the programmer "converted"? the Integer address to a "Local" address. I guess that's what was done. Anyway, what's the advantage of doing it that way, or is that the way it has to be done? I'm new to the Logix5000 and DeviceNet anyway so I haveen't a clue what's going on.
Thanks
Skip In MI

The alias simply points to the location & mirrors the data.
It allows the programmer to set up a meaningful name, & not have to copy or move data in the program.

Also, by using the local names, you can reuse the logic & such in multiple tasks & keep the same names.

You can learn all about Alias addressing in the Logix 5000 Common Procedures Guide (publication 1756-PM001, Chapter 2), or in any Logix class presented by Rockwell Automation or an RA distributor. It's a fundamental feature of the Logix operating system and RSLogix 5000 editor.

In your case, there's something else going on because Logix does not use SLC/PLC style addresses like "N80:xx/yy". There's probably a converted SLC/PLC program or an HMI that only understands SLC/PLC addresses involved.

Skip.

Do you mean that the N80:xx/yy is being used as an alias for the DeviceNet data. As Ken has already mentioned CLX does not use the PLC/SLC addresses so I wonder if the programmer has used these aliases as a way of getting a CLX processor to work with an existing or standard HMI/SCADA system.
Andybr