How can I change, in a PV600 with touch screen, the language of my application

danielo7310

Hi:
How can I change, in a PV600 with touch screen, the language of my application (buttons, text, etc.) ? Is there any button to change the language in RUN TIME?
I have tha PanelBuilder32 V3.82

Last edited:
Push the right and left arrow keys at the same time, this will get you into the setup menu where you can change the language. This won't actually change the language on the screens, you will have to do that in panelbuilder.

allscott said:
Push the right and left arrow keys at the same time, this will get you into the setup menu where you can change the language. This won't actually change the language on the screens, you will have to do that in panelbuilder.

Well, as I said, is a touch screen PV, and, what I want to know is:

in panelbuilder, there is an option to change the language of the buttons' text and other messages, but I don't know how to do the same thing in run time. Somebody told me that exist o button to do that, but I don't know where it is.

Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you, mickey, but It will change the language of the PV's messages, it will not change the language of the button's text, or it will?

What I need to know is which button I must place in my app, to the user can change the language of the buttons, alarms and messages (not the terminal messages)

Thank you

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I am not used to working on screens that are touch only.

No, this will not change the language of the button's text, just the terminal messages.

If I understand you correctly you would like to be able to have your application (buttons etc...) display in multiple languages.

How many languages do you need?

The only way I can think to do that would be to have a "language selection" screen which then would drill down to other screens that have been translated in panelbuilder. The limitation to this is the amount of memory in your panelview vs the number of screens you would need to copy into different languages.

allscott said:
Sorry about that, I am not used to working on screens that are touch only.

No, this will not change the language of the button's text, just the terminal messages.

If I understand you correctly you would like to be able to have your application (buttons etc...) display in multiple languages.

How many languages do you need?

The only way I can think to do that would be to have a "language selection" screen which then would drill down to other screens that have been translated in panelbuilder. The limitation to this is the amount of memory in your panelview vs the number of screens you would need to copy into different languages.
Thank you, allscott
That's what I thought. But there's a problem:
If I made a button with the text in english, then I copied it to another screen, if I change the language of any of those (with the View -> Language option), the language of both is changed. So, I know that I can make a screen twice (one in each language), but, as I said, somebody told me that there is a easier way to do it, specifically, with a button.
Does anybody know which is it?

Last edited:
I've never done this and didn't realize that Panelbuilder supported multi language support. Have you enabled it?

From the help;

Enable application for multiple language support
To enable a new or existing application to store translated text for multiple languages:
§ For new applications, select the Multiple Language Support (French, German, Italian, Spanish, English) check box in the New Application dialog.
§ For existing applications, select the Multiple Language Support (French, German, Italian, Spanish, English) check box on the Advanced tab of the Application Settings dialog.
When you enable multiple language support for an application, the Language toolbar and View/Language submenu are activated. Use either of these options to switch the application to another language for the purposes of translating text or to download the application to the terminal with the translated text.
Notes:
§ If you copy an object from a single language application to one that supports multiple languages, the object is updated to support multiple languages. Multiple text strings are created for objects in each of the five languages (even if not translated).
§ If you disable multiple language support for an application by clearing the Multiple Language Support check box on the Advanced tab of the Application Settings dialog, the application will only store text for the active language, all other translated text is deleted.
§ If you copy an object from an application that supports multiple languages to an application that only supports a single language, the object is converted to a single language object. The object will display text in the language that was active at the time of the copy; all other translated text is deleted.
Allen-Bradley Company, LLC, Copyright © 1993-2002, All Rights Reserved

Change application language from terminal
To change the language that the terminal is currently using for an application, you can:
§ Select a language from the Language Setup screen on the terminal’s Configuration Mode menu
§ Create a control list selector or push button that writes to the internal tag @Write_CurrentLang. When one of the following values is sent to this tag address, the corresponding language is displayed. You are only allowed to use this tag with one object in the application.
0 = French
1 = German
2 = Italian
3 = Spanish
4 = English
For control list selectors, assign the list text (language names) and values above in the States tab of the Control List Selector. When using a multistate push button, the push button text displays the next language selection and not the current language displayed. The values are offset by one state on the States tab of the Push Button dialog.
For example, a multistate push button is assigned the following states on the States tab of the Push Button dialog. The Text field shows inner text that appears in the push button for each state. The Value field indicates the value used by the @Write_CurrentLang tag to activate a language.
State Text Value
0 French 4
1 German 0
2 Italian 1
3 Spanish 2
4 English 3
At State 0, the terminal displays the English language (Value = 4) and the push button text is French. To enable the French language, press the button to advance to State 1. The terminal now displays the French language (Value = 0) and the push button text is German. To enable the German language, press the button to advance to State 2. The terminal displays the German language (Value = 1) and the push button text is Italian.

edit: From PanelBuilder help file. Do a search on language... lots of stuff to read.

Last edited:
allscott said:
I've never done this and didn't realize that Panelbuilder supported multi language support. Have you enabled it?

From the help;

Enable application for multiple language support
To enable a new or existing application to store translated text for multiple languages:
§ For new applications, select the Multiple Language Support (French, German, Italian, Spanish, English) check box in the New Application dialog.
§ For existing applications, select the Multiple Language Support (French, German, Italian, Spanish, English) check box on the Advanced tab of the Application Settings dialog.
When you enable multiple language support for an application, the Language toolbar and View/Language submenu are activated. Use either of these options to switch the application to another language for the purposes of translating text or to download the application to the terminal with the translated text.
Notes:
§ If you copy an object from a single language application to one that supports multiple languages, the object is updated to support multiple languages. Multiple text strings are created for objects in each of the five languages (even if not translated).
§ If you disable multiple language support for an application by clearing the Multiple Language Support check box on the Advanced tab of the Application Settings dialog, the application will only store text for the active language, all other translated text is deleted.
§ If you copy an object from an application that supports multiple languages to an application that only supports a single language, the object is converted to a single language object. The object will display text in the language that was active at the time of the copy; all other translated text is deleted.
Yes, I already done it, actually, the example that I wrote in a previous post, I actually tried it (about to create a button, copy and paste it in a new screen & change its language), but, the language of both is changed.

Thank you

agarb said:
To change the language that the terminal is currently using for an application, you can:
§ Select a language from the Language Setup screen on the terminal’s Configuration Mode menu
§ Create a control list selector or push button that writes to the internal tag @Write_CurrentLang. When one of the following values is sent to this tag address, the corresponding language is displayed. You are only allowed to use this tag with one object in the application.
0 = French
1 = German
2 = Italian
3 = Spanish
4 = English
For control list selectors, assign the list text (language names) and values above in the States tab of the Control List Selector. When using a multistate push button, the push button text displays the next language selection and not the current language displayed. The values are offset by one state on the States tab of the Push Button dialog.
For example, a multistate push button is assigned the following states on the States tab of the Push Button dialog. The Text field shows inner text that appears in the push button for each state. The Value field indicates the value used by the @Write_CurrentLang tag to activate a language.
State Text Value
0 French 4
1 German 0
2 Italian 1
3 Spanish 2
4 English 3
At State 0, the terminal displays the English language (Value = 4) and the push button text is French. To enable the French language, press the button to advance to State 1. The terminal now displays the French language (Value = 0) and the push button text is German. To enable the German language, press the button to advance to State 2. The terminal displays the German language (Value = 1) and the push button text is Italian.

edit: From PanelBuilder help file. Do a search on language... lots of stuff to read.
Thank you, but, It will translate ONLY the terminal messages, not the text on the buttons, screen text, etc, or it will?

agarb said:
0 = French
1 = German
2 = Italian
3 = Spanish
4 = English
State Text Value
0 French 4
1 German 0
2 Italian 1
3 Spanish 2
4 English 3

I'm trying to do this, but an error appear when i try to download my app, saying that the "@Write_CurrentLang" is an invalid tag address (I put it in a multistate button), what can I do?

danielo7310 said:
I'm trying to do this, but an error appear when i try to download my app, saying that the "@Write_CurrentLang" is an invalid tag address (I put it in a multistate button), what can I do?

Don't know as I've never done it. I always made my customers access the configuration screen to select a new language.

I don't have an easy way to test it on a real PanelView, but I created a test application and did get it to validate OK. I didn't try to create a tag with "@Write_CurrentLang" as the address, I just entered "@Write_CurrentLang" directly in the "Write Tag" field that shows up on the Properties table of the Control List Selector. Also seems to work for me in a multistate button, but it won't let me use both at the same time; I had to delete the control list selector.

danielo7310 said:
Thank you, but, It will translate ONLY the terminal messages, not the text on the buttons, screen text, etc, or it will?

You have to enter the text for the alternate languages. Pick Language off the View menu to change the currently selected langugage during developement. Or display the language toolbar.

For example - If you develop everything in English and then switch via to Spanish via the Language toolbar, all the text will be blank and you have to enter the Spanish messages. I find it easier to enter all the languages as I go, but it requires a bunch of switching back and forth.

agarb said:
Don't know as I've never done it. I always made my customers access the configuration screen to select a new language.

I don't have an easy way to test it on a real PanelView, but I created a test application and did get it to validate OK. I didn't try to create a tag with "@Write_CurrentLang" as the address, I just entered "@Write_CurrentLang" directly in the "Write Tag" field that shows up on the Properties table of the Control List Selector. Also seems to work for me in a multistate button, but it won't let me use both at the same time; I had to delete the control list selector.

I finally could do it!!!
Thank you very much.