PV+ 600 on DH-485 problem

woodward_uk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there,

I would appreciate help with the following problem please;

I have set up a DH-485 network in our office to programme a system before delivery to site. The network consists of an SLC 5\03 Processor, 2 off 1747-AIC Link Couplers and a 2711P-K6C3D PV Plus 600. Comms to laptop is via PCMK card.

The network appears to be working correctly and I can access the SLC using RSLogix 500 from either end of the network. However when I attempt to connect to the PV+ I am getting no response.

I created a new application in RSView Studio and download this to the PV+ via an Ethernet connection, this included a shortcut to my SLC and a driver for allowing the PV+ to communicate on DH-485, but I cannot get any comms between the SLC and PV+ or laptop and PV+ via DH-485.

I tried adding drivers for DH485 and Serial DH485 under the 'Communications' tab in RSView Studio but neither seem to work. The PV+ came with a 2711P-RN3 DH-485 module factory installed, but with no driver for DH-485 in terminal settings. Is this correct?

Only other clue is that I cannot get online addressing when creating tags in RSView Studio.

Any help would be gratefully received!!!!!
Thanks

Steve

Presuming its wired correctly then a couple of things (and im new to the PV+)
In facxtorytalk view studio under RSLinxEnterprise > Comms Setup have you got the DH485 driver in both the local and runtime tab ? And are the node addresses set up correctly (on PV+ in FTStudio and on the SLC) ?

In the comms setup tab you have a verify button as well.

Also in the PV+ in the config screen (if you have programmed a button in) you can get to a page under rslinx where it shows the drivers one of which should be DH485

dh485_00.jpg

Last edited:
This is a tricky network implementation with PV+.

RSLinx Enterprise does not support the 1784-PCMK/PCM4 card that you have for connection of your computer to the DH485 network.

RSLinx Classic does (which is why you can connect to the SLC with RSLogix 500), but you won't be able to browse to the SLC from RSLinx Enterprise, so you won't be able to browse the SLC data tables from within FT View Studio. We can address a couple off tricks for getting around this later.

The configuration of the DH485 driver will be done ONLY in the "Target" tab in RSLinx Enterprise. You select the "Serial DH485" driver, which runs the 2711P-RN3 communications daughtercard.

The PV+ enumerates COM ports similarly to most PCs, so the built-in RS232 serial port is COM1. Any add-on ports, including the 2711P-RN3 module, are enumerated higher, starting with COM2.

RN3.GIF

When you download this Runtime file to the PV+, check the "replace communications configuration" box, or select that option when you Load the Runtime from the configuration menu.

Ken Roach said:
This is a tricky network implementation with PV+.

RSLinx Enterprise does not support the 1784-PCMK/PCM4 card that you have for connection of your computer to the DH485 network.

RSLinx Classic does (which is why you can connect to the SLC with RSLogix 500), but you won't be able to browse to the SLC from RSLinx Enterprise, so you won't be able to browse the SLC data tables from within FT View Studio. We can address a couple off tricks for getting around this later.

The configuration of the DH485 driver will be done ONLY in the "Target" tab in RSLinx Enterprise. You select the "Serial DH485" driver, which runs the 2711P-RN3 communications daughtercard.

The PV+ enumerates COM ports similarly to most PCs, so the built-in RS232 serial port is COM1. Any add-on ports, including the 2711P-RN3 module, are enumerated higher, starting with COM2.

RN3.GIF

When you download this Runtime file to the PV+, check the "replace communications configuration" box, or select that option when you Load the Runtime from the configuration menu.

This is exactly what stumped me for some time.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

The problem appears to be that I had selected COM Port 1 rather than 2. This has now given me comms between PV+ and SLC over the DH-485 Network (albeit rather slow, about 3-4 second update times).

However, I can still only transfer my applications using ethernet. The PV+ is now visible under RSLinx Classic but I cannot configure Enterprise under RSView Studio to accept the PV. When I add a PV600 device and attempt give it the address of 2, I get a message saying that this address is in use, which it is by the Serial DH-485 driver. I think I'm getting slightly muddled here. The PV+ tells me it is addressed as 2 when I look under RSLinx Enterprise Comms.

Thanks

Steve

Are you still trying to see it with the pcmk card ?

See Tech Note 47747, although Ken does mention some tricks to get round this i believe.

Last edited: