OK a AD Question

Joe Boxer

OK been working on this design for a residential PLC program on automating the HVAC system in my house. Planning on using a AD plc (mainly the cost, the experince with them, plus already owning the software for the plcs, and the touchscreens)

So my question is what y'all recomend for the better choice 205, 305, 405, or the smaller on 106? I have used all of these and found the 405 to be more durable, but thelooks seem more industrial, plus it seemed like it took alot of space.

I like the DL06 :)

Hey Joe... I have started to use reading glasses.. but no need with your post :D thanks :D

I had used the 205 series for many years. I have used the 405 series on occasion as well. IMO, the 305 is an oddball. After the 06 came out, I standardized on that. The 06 has a full instruction set, and a nice, compact package. Unless you need any specific capabilities of the 405 (specialty modules, etc.), I'd say the 06 would be a good choice.

🍻

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
I had used the 205 series for many years. I have used the 405 series on occasion as well. IMO, the 305 is an oddball. After the 06 came out, I standardized on that. The 06 has a full instruction set, and a nice, compact package. Unless you need any specific capabilities of the 405 (specialty modules, etc.), I'd say the 06 would be a good choice.

🍻

-Eric

I am planning on using multiple thermocouples not sure if the DL06 is capable of this.

Rich1955 said:
If your needing under 8 PID, I would go with the 06.

ok not to sound like a bafoon but remind me what PID is..... in my defense, running on very little sleep

my dream would be 16 thermacouple inputs, plus to be able to take air pressure readings so that would around 3 more inputs.

then would use 2 DL106 and network them togather, if thats possible.

Joe

Wondered why air pressure readings. Then remembered you have forced air heating. Home style HVAC are generally a low flow (low noise) and low pressure system. Reading pressure either static or dynamic (ie pitot tube for velocity) is fairly easy. HOwever the transmitters I think could get pretty pricy. Those I have found run 2 to 300 each.
Magnehelic may have a gage with a transmitter built in but I think that will be a few bucks also.

I am curious if others know of ACCURATE low pressure and inexpensive transmitters?

Dan Bentler

leitmotif said:
Joe

Wondered why air pressure readings. Then remembered you have forced air heating. Home style HVAC are generally a low flow (low noise) and low pressure system. Reading pressure either static or dynamic (ie pitot tube for velocity) is fairly easy. HOwever the transmitters I think could get pretty pricy. Those I have found run 2 to 300 each.
Magnehelic may have a gage with a transmitter built in but I think that will be a few bucks also.

I am curious if others know of ACCURATE low pressure and inexpensive transmitters?

Dan Bentler
We have used Magnehelics with transmitters on several applications and I have found them to be not very reliable on the transmitter end. As a mechanical gauge they work OK, if you do periodic cal checks. We are in the process of replacing all 11 on a makeup air system with E+H dP cells. Not cheap (~$1200) but reliable. The transmitters on the Magnehelics fail and have some other problems if you are using low range units. How about a 0-25"wc 4-20ma unit that will put out 38ma if the pressure goes too high? And couple that with an OPTO22 analog input that will show near 0" signal when the input goes above 26 or so ma? I ended up adding components to clamp the signal to under 24ma. And all 11 units have had complete Magnehelic transmitter failures after 4-8 years of operation. I would only use a typical industrial dP cell on our process applications where we expect 10+ years of life.
There may be some good dP transmitters that are inexpensive but I have stopped looking.

Joe Boxer said:
Sorry, about using such a large font I just have trouble seeing due to my MS, I meant to change it back to a normal size font.

A small hint on this: Set typing to bold (optional), then press and hold CTRL and now scroll down.(or press +, which only works for Firefox)
In Internet explorer, it'll enlarge text by a few fontsizes.
In Firefox, it'll enlarge text as long as you keep scrolling/pressing +.(ofc until it maxes out on huge fonts)

This way you don't have to play around with fontsizes anymore......

"Low Pressure" and "Inexpensive" usually don't go well together if you're also wanting "Accuracy". It's a lot more difficult to measure change across a small span...

Davis Instruments (www.davis.com) sells units we use to monitor "low" pressure zones. Model DW600 is 0-3"w/c for $247 and provides 4-20ma output.

For our applications, we use a model MS191131 (0-0.1"H2O) for $429, although it is relay output only -- no analog.

GIT,

Off Topic: A couple of things jumped out at your site. You might want to check and revise the grammar (hear instead of here).

...location they can here the PA system.
Also "Benefits to having" is a bit clumsy. What about "Benefits from Owning this Unit"?

...this number is a reflection of how the company is doing as a hole.
You really should fix this one. What company wants to be in a hole (as opposed to being "whole")?

Perhaps this might work: ...this number is a reflection of how the whole company is doing.

I saw several other small grammar errors, such as sentence fragments, run-on sentences, sentence capitalization, and comma misuse. If you are concerned about your company's image, these things need attention. Sorry, I guess my days as a technical writing editor have permanently scarred me for polite company.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lancie1,

Thanks!... Steve and others have help me with my real site.

I never thought anyone would really look at that one :) it was just something I thought about doing before I started www.plctrainer.net but someday I may get something from it... like a job :D

But YES grammar is not my strong point (but hell neither are PLC's :) ) and thanks again I will fix the errors or at least try