22-COMM-E I/P address assignment help

smiller

I am working with an AB Powerflex 40 drive with a 22-comm-e Ethernet card. The card is new but has been on the shelf for several months. So far I have not been able to assign it an I/P address. The BootP utility has not worked and I get a "socket connect failed" connection was refused error message. I double checked the MAC address on the card and it was keyed in correctly. The Net A light is dark and the Net B light flashes green in no particular sequence. Can anyone give me an idea on what to try next. I don't have another 22-comm-e card to try out.

Thanks,

Steve

Don't worry too much about that "socket connect failed" message when you try to force the module into DCHP/BOOTP mode. I think that's caused by the Windows firewall. I haven't been able to use that function since our IT department started administering the firewalls on our PCs.

As for the Net A and Net B LEDs, that sounds normal for a module that is waiting for an Ethernet connection.

If you have a DSI-based HIM module, or a connection 22-SCM-232 that lets you connect DriveExecutive to the PowerFlex drive, you can set up the IP address using those.

If the module is new off the shelf, it ought to be sending out BOOTP requests that the BOOTP Utility will recognize and make available for assignment.

Are you getting a good LINK light on the switch to which the 22-COMM-E is attached ?

Thanks for the reply Ken, I was able to use the bootP utility on another laptop and it worked fine. I guess that there probably was an issue with the firewall settings on my PC. I don't have any of the other hardware that you suggested so I was relieved to get it working. Thanks again.

Steve