EZPanel Enhanced to 1756-ENBT

yam785

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to get a EZPanel Enhanced(EZ-S6W-RSU)Universal Ethernet HMI communicating with 1756-L55 processor in slot 0, through 1756-ENBT in slot 8. I have talked with EZTouch Tech support, and they believe I have the EZPanel set up right, but I'm not sure about the module added in the Contrologix I/O. I would not ask for help, unless I had already beat my head on it for hours.

I will supply any and all info I can. I am not familiar with how to add programs, pics, etc., to post, but if you tell me what to add to post, and how to do it, I will supply all info.

I am at my wits end,or I wouldn't ask for help.

The I/O connection in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree is only used for scheduled connections, like racks of 1756 I/O modules on EtherNet/IP. The only HMI that I am familiar with that uses scheduled connections is the A-B PanelView Standard.

Unless EZ-Touch gave you directions for adding a Generic I/O Module to the I/O tree, don't put it there.

Can you post a link to the EZ-Touch documentation for how they communicate to Logix ?

Thanks Ken. Here is the link to the EZTouch Enhanced software manaual.

I was given the task of setting up a number of different A-B demo units, to communicate together through different protocols, with an assortment of devices. These demos include Controlnet, Devicenet, Ethernet, and Remote I/O. Drives included are a Powerflex70 to be controlled by Devicenet, Ultra3000 Sercos to be controlled by 1756-MO8SE/B.

I'm learning a lot while doing this, and I am trying to figure things out myself, as I think that is the best way to learn, but when it comes to the EZTouch, I've tried everything, and I'm stumped. I was given the EZTouch (M/N EZ-S6W-RSU), as it was what we happened to have spare on the shelf. It uses 'Universal Ethernet'. According to 'EZTouch Tech Support', I have the EZTouch set-up correctly.

I tried connecting straigt from the 1756-ENBT Rev 3.9 to the EZTouch with a ethernet cross-over cable, to eliminate any possible switch problems, but still no luck.

I tried using the 'Generic Ethernet Module' in RSLogix, as my EZTouch, but I keep getting (Code 16#0204) Connection Request Timeout. I don't see a selection in RSLogix for Universal Ethernet.

Here is a link, where if you type in your first and last name and login, you can download EZTouch Programming software Demo, which allows you to everything but download to a panel. I will attach EZPanel program I created, and RSLogix program, and maybe someone will be able to make sense of this. If you download the above software demo, you will be able to open my EZPanel program.

I would appreciate any help any one can give. I would not ask for help, if I hadn't already tried everything I can think of.

Anything I can add which might help, let me know.

Comm format set incorrectly:

cformat1.jpg

cformat2.jpg

I am not sure about sizes as well
Post full screenshot from HMI software so we can compare size settings

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I was told by EZTouch support, that I need to use universal ethernet, which from what I see, has no comm format selection. Maybe I'm missing it. I agree with the universal ethernet, as it allows me to select 'Contrologix Ethernet/IP. The help tells me to put the slot number in of my Ethernet connection, which is slot 8.

Here is Pic of HMI main
EZTouchInfo3.JPG

Here is a pic of PLC details in HMI
EZTouchInfo2.JPG

I was able to ping the HMI at the I.P. address I downloaded.

What Contrologix Ethernet device should I be using with universal ethernet?

Banging my head on my desk, seems to be getting me nowhere. I hoping maybe someone can pick up on something I'm overlooking.

Thanks for any and all help.

Ding !

The Controller is the 1756-L55 in Slot 0, not the 1756-ENBT in Slot 8.

It looks to me like the EZ-Touch initiates all the Tag reads and writes, and does not use an I/O connection. Delete the Generic Module from the I/O tree.

Based on your last post:
Controller should be set for slot 0 instead of 8
And you don't put EZpanel in I/O configuration at all.

Edit: Ken posted while I was typing ;) but looks like we are on the same path

Thanks to both of you. Very much appreciated.

Going description in the EZTouch Help I attached, I thought it would be the slot, in which the ENBT resided. I will change it to slot 0, delete the generic ethernet in Logix, and try it.

This project is a lot over my head, but it is a golden learning opportunity.

I will never be able to accomplish this project on time, with-out relying on this forum when I come to road-blocks. I hope everyone doesn't get fed up with the amount of questions I may need to post, as I go through this project.

Great minds must think a like. The both of you were dead-on, and I now have communication. I can't thank you enough. I hope you won't mind if I have more questions as I go through this project.

Because of you, I will be able to sleep a little better tonight, knowing some progress was made. Thanks again.

It's not surprized me that manual is wrong, but communication path methods of Ethernet/IP are the same for all products. So you should start learning how logix does comms and how define path.

Another thing:
Manual shows example for Class 1 (I/O) type connection.
So I guess HMI can do it as well, but in this case you should remove Class 3 connection (the one you got working).
But this is well above of what you need, so leave it along.