RSLogix5000 Help

DaveMac

Does anyone know of a company that offers "review" or "help" for RSLogix5000?

I am a 500 programmer for a pet food company in South Carolina and have to now do my first 5000 project. I am fighting my way through it but would feel better and be quicker if there was a resource in South Carolina or at least the East Coast that could take a look at my program and tell me what is good and what is bad.

Any suggestions

That could be a tall order unless you are looking to pay someone. I know of a few automation shops down there that would probably review your application, but it wouldn't be very cheap.

RSLogix 5000 programming, if using straight ladder, is very very similar to SLC500, About the biggest change (and it shouldn't be if you program the SLC's with symbols) is assigning the I/O's.

Suggestion: Before you start, in the 'Controller Tags' editor (after you insert your I/O in the hardware list), assign an 'alias' for each I/O point. Then just use the alias in programming contacts and such.

There are no 'Data Files' per se, but if you try to use an 'internal bit' or 'internal word', even timers and counters, just give them a unique name as you program them. The rungs will not verify, but you can right click on the new name you entered, and select 'Add New' from the popup menu.

I almost hate to ask, but is this pet food company by any chance in Orangeburg?

Hi. If you or your company can afford it, its advisable to go to a Rockwell training course for the 5000. Even though it looks a lot like an SLC there are a lot of differences behind the scenes. I dont mean a course that explains how to place an input on a rung of code. What you need is someone to explain the way the data tables get structured, periodic tasks and there priorities, scoping of tags and aliases, multidimension arrys and when to use them and the 100s of other little features that take a long time to find and utilise if you just sit in front of one and start working.
Structure is so much more important in a 5000 project than a 500.
Regards Alan Case

I don’t mind paying but I want to buy by the hour time (at a reasonable price) to help me with PID and the differences between analog in and out. With my trusty old 500 it was SCP and I’m done. Now with 5000 I just have to get used to it.

As far as a class several folks with my company have gone but don’t seem to be any closer than I am. It is a good informative class but 3d arrays and advanced motion control and such is not the focus. XIO, XIC, SCP,Timers and PID. That’s about it for me .

I am looking for someone to look at a program and say that PID isn’t working because (insert one of a thousand possibilities here) try more D. Here is a bill for $250 review charge I spent 3 hours looking at this and telling you what is wrong with you using a CPT to do what SCP would have done.

Rdrast, Richard Rast from Englewood in Columbia?

DaveMac:

Since you mentioned PID's and SCP, here's something that might help you out with CLX. Do your scaling right at the analog input/output configuration, then just use engineering units for your PID's.

One thing you need to pay special attention to though is you must set the minSP, maxSP, minPV, and maxPV to reasonable values. (Most important if using the PIDE instruction).

One other thing for converting, is that basically all timers you will use in CLX resolve to 1ms, so you will have to multiply presets as you code them if using the 10ms, 100ms, or 1sec timebases.