EZ touch?

steviek

Hi All,

I'm very new to automation. My only previous experience has been with Mitsubishi Alpha PLC's, which are rather limited and are programmed in boolean.

I've recently been tasked with automating a custom production tool here at work. Since we're a start up company, I've settled on EZ touch from EZ Automation because of the price, and because of their claims of ease of programming.

I've read some threads on this site about EZ Touch PLC's and panels. They claim that there is no need for training with their software, but since I have little experience with ladder logic, I'm concerned about whether that claim really applies to the novice.

Does anyone know of a source for programming instructions specific to the EZ or EZ touch PLC's and touch panels other than what's available from the mfg (which isn't much)?

Also, I downloaded the demo programming software from this website and have read some of the tutorial material available here as well. Is the book offered more comprehensive then what's already available on this site?

Thanks for your help!
Steve

They are very easy to use, we have used them with their EZ-PLC, AB, AD and omron. Very nice people too, if you are ever in the area you should stop by the plant and see them. There are also some significant discounts available to integrators who use a lot of thier products.

I've used the EZ-Touch HMI and liked it. I've recently been using hte C-More, and personally I like the programming, trending, and tag editing better. Prices are similar.

I tried the EZ-Touch/PLC and was not impressed. The terminal blocks on the I/O were too small, and although the logic editing was fine downloading and configuring were a little clumsy.

We're using the C-More as well. Very nice panels, easy to use, good features -- such as the ability to send e-mails from the panel.

The only thing we don't like about the C-More is the way trends are displayed -- as sample #'s instead of time-stamps -- but it's easy enough to deal with if you scale things logically.

The newest version of the Cmore software allows you to select time stamping on trends.

Look under the "Options" tab in the Line Graph object.

Thanks for the tip, Icky. I haven't actually set up a new one in a while. It's nice to know they're keeping the updates rolling.

c-more

Hi Guys - Thanks for all your help! I took a cursory look at c-more before I settled on EZ Touch, but after your input, I'm going to take another look.

As far as support, Does c-more have a good software manual? I'm in a bit of a spot because I told upper management I could do this, and I'm sure I can, but I just need to become more familiar with RLL. So a good manual written with the novice in mind would be helpful.

Also, does C-more have a simulation mode that allows debugging offline? I didn't see a simulation mode with the EZ plc demo.

Thanks again
Steve

steviek said:
Hi Guys - Thanks for all your help! I took a cursory look at c-more before I settled on EZ Touch, but after your input, I'm going to take another look.

As far as support, Does c-more have a good software manual? I'm in a bit of a spot because I told upper management I could do this, and I'm sure I can, but I just need to become more familiar with RLL. So a good manual written with the novice in mind would be helpful.

Also, does C-more have a simulation mode that allows debugging offline? I didn't see a simulation mode with the EZ plc demo.

Thanks again
Steve
The complexity of the HMI app will depend on what you're trying to do and how you choose to write your program in the PLC. You can do some expression evaluation in the C-More, using events, but I didn't find the system very intuitive. That said, we can usually hammer out a C-More project in less than a day if we're not doing "crazy stuff".

As far as simulation goes -- the panels we've used don't have a full-blown simulator because the PLC (and associated logic) is external. There is a "screen simulator" that allows you to adjust the on-screen values to make sure things are scaled properly, etc.

Hi jasat (I hope that's right). The digital is pretty straight forward to me but I don't have a lot of experience with analog in PLC applications. My main concern is interfacing with some external components, for instance an RF generator in which I would like use the touch panel to change set points and receive indication. that's what I'm a little leary about.

That's about the extent of it. The tool we're developing doesn't have a lot of moving parts, mainly energy, pressure control and gas flow set points and indication, with a few sensors thrown in. plus setting process deltas that will generate alarms or shutdowns if exceeded. I don't think it will be too hard for a novice (I hope).

One thing I forgot to mention is that the process engineers want to do some data logging. I know the EZ plcs have a data logger option. How does c-more handle it?

Last edited:
Steviek,

It's James (James S. at Kan-Pak)...but I do like the sound of "Jasat".

Anyway, I don't have any experience with an RF generator outside of RFID applications. In those cases we were passing digital information, not analog.

Analog in PLCs is pretty straightforward as long as you keep the signals clean. AutomationDirect has excellent wiring examples included with all of their I/O modules, so it's pretty tough to go wrong. There is a pretty good variety of module type (4-20, 0-10vdc, +10 - -10vdc, etc.) so you should be able to find something to suit your needs.

C-More can log data internally and/or to a usb thumbdrive, which is quite handy, and you can set up sampling rate, scaling, etc. very easily. Using the trend tools that "Icky" and I were discussing, it is simple to set up charts with historical data access.

Depending on the amount of data you are needing to capture, and how much historical data you need access to, the C-More would be a good solution. We do tend to avoid "panels" here for the most part, because they do have memory limitations when it comes to logging.

For the majority of our HMI's, we've used LookoutDirect with an inexpensive Dell PC and iKey Nema4X touch screens. We can put together a system with virtually unlimited logging space, a LOT more flexibility than you'd get out of a "panel" and the cost, including a permanent development license, is around $3,500. We'll then throw VNC on the PC and have remote access for control or development from anywhere. It's worked out very well here.

Again, without knowing the specifics of what you're after, it's tough to make definite recommendations. Just keep posting your questions and someone here will try to help.

You mentioned RF and gasses. I assume it's a Semiconductor MFG application. That's my field. Use a mechanical interlock for the RF with a relay - don't do Safety through the PLC. You can use the PLC to monitor Interlock Relay status. For RF on, the PLC can command it, but keep the Interlock Relay in series with it. When in doubt, consider the PLC has faulted to the max with all outputs on. Is there any way for the RF (or gas, etc.) to run in this condition if an interlock is open?
Do the same thing to make sure gas can't come on with the chamber open. Simply put, do safety interlocks with relays. Make it so even if your program did something wrong, it won't cause a safety issue.

Go with the C'more 10 inch or better. I've tried to save money in the past using 6 inch mono and color. They're just too small, and I had to upgrade later.
For the PLC, go with a DL06. If you need more I/O, then go with the 200 series.
For software, there is two packages you need to learn. The software for the C'more HMI, and the software for the PLC (DirectSoft5). DS5 is for the ladder program, analog modules, etc.
The HMI software for the C'more is for graphics, some scaling, trending charts, and alarms.

Download all of the manuals from the AD site. Put away all of your fears about being able to do this - you can.
It's not like learning C or Fortran or evemm Microsoft Excel. This stuff is quite easy. In the HMI software, the buttons, charts, etc. are prebuilt. You just pick it, place it, and give it some parameters. The rest is done for you. Clear examples are given for everything.
After that, you can get in-depth help here.

Keithkyll is correct about the smaller C-More panels -- not worth it.

If you go to the 200-series PLC, the 260 CPU is definitely worth the extra $40 over the 250-1.

Keith, Thanks for the tip. It's nice to talk to a fellow semiconductor vet. I'm only planning on using the PLC's for process control. I've already planned on interlocks and physical e-stops, but thanks for looking out for me :)

Have you used touch panels for changing set points etc? I'm looking at RF, MFC, APC setpoints and indication from the touch panel or computer (as James suggested - I do want to take a look at that option too).