Driving a SSR with a PID Loop ???

brettshelley

Hi guys, I am having sleepless nights over this problem!

I am reading a temperature value and using a PID routine to make sure that the temperature stays at the process value. My problem is this:

The PID loop gives me a variable from 0 - 4000 depending on where the temperature is.

How can i manipulate this so that as the variable changes, the pulse of the output is driven directly proportional to the value???

Eg, 4000 = ON
2000 = pulse 50% ie. 10ms
etc

????
Cheers,

Brett

PID_Output_Value/PID_Max_Output_Value * Time_Period.

Thus, if your PID output is 25% and the time period is 5 seconds, then 1000/4000 * 5 = 1.25 seconds. Your SSR is on for 1.25 seconds and off for 3.75 seconds.

In your example above you stipulated a value of 10mS for 50%, meaning you have an overall time proportioned output time of 20 mS. This is realistically way too short of a time period as your PLC scan time will be a signifcant percentage of the time proportioning period. And thats not even accounting for your IO response time and the .016 second response time of your SSR.

Last edited:
Thanks Alaric, that has racked my brains into gear!!!

I will ammend the programme and try it now!

Will let you know if it works!

Thanks

There is a simpler way IFF the PID is in a interrupt routine.

If the PID is called at fixed intervals then one can just use the following code to turn the SSR on and off.

Code:
CO_SUM = CO_SUM + CO_NEW
IF CO_SUM >= CO_MAX THEN
  CO_SUM = CO_SUM - CO_MAX
  SSR = ON
ELSE
  SSR = OFF
ENDIF
This works well if the update time to the PID is too fast for a timer.