Autosketch vs. Autocad

I know this is not a plc question (forgive me), but I am wanting to learn to make electrical drawing using Autocad. However, I don't want to shell out the bucks for Autocad and was thinking about using Autosketch since the files are compatible with Autocad. Has anybody here had any experience with Autosketch?

Yes, I can vouch for SEE Electrical. We use the Basic version. You can get a trial of the full version for 30 days.

I have attached a couple of little examples I have done.

I just downloaded ProgeCad 2008 Smart which is very similar to AutoCad, and free for private use.

I have only piddled with it for a few minutes, but so far it accepted the same commands as Autocad.

I would suggest something like that, so that once you learn it, you will also be familiar with Autocad, which is a very marketable skill.

Paul

Thanks for all of the advice, links, and drawings (those are real nice looking drawings).

At a quick glance it appears that OkiePC's route is the best way to go since what I'm really wanting learn is Autocad - which is a marketable skill.

Last edited:
OkiePC said:
I just downloaded ProgeCad 2008 Smart which is very similar to AutoCad, and free for private use.

I have only piddled with it for a few minutes, but so far it accepted the same commands as Autocad.

I would suggest something like that, so that once you learn it, you will also be familiar with Autocad, which is a very marketable skill.
I second this suggestion. And here is the link:

http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=prodotti/eng_progecad2008smart&abspage=1&lang=eng

Intellicad is also an option, it is relatively cheap and will directly open autocad files and will also save in autocad format. The commands are also very similar to autocad