Micro Logix

Tonk

Well this going to upset some people but as far as I'm concerned Compact Logix SUCKS!!!!!
Siemens have nothing to fear as far as I'm concerned just started to work with a RS5000 really sucks. Rockwell have tried to copy the functionality of Simatic Manager and really done a poor job f it.

SORRY BUT THATS MY OWN OPINION

Last edited:
I use RS Logix 500 and from what I can see of this RS Logix5000, taken a nice solid package that is very user friendly and really screwed it up!!!!

Last edited:
Tonk said:
really screwed it up!!!!

Could be the user... I think its very nice :)

EDIT: also did you know that Micrologix is one word and it has nothing to do with 5000

Last edited:
I think your problem might be more of your location than the Logix editor. Probably the wind off Lake Michigan froze the good humor right out of you.

I didn't like the Logix 5000 editor when I started using it 10 years ago, either. I assure you I feel the same way about the SLC operating system when I have to go back and use it, now.

Why are we even talking about this on a Sunday afternoon ? I'm in too good a mood after the Seahawks defense woke up from their nap during the 4th quarter and sent the Redskins home.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ken Roach:

I'm in too good a mood after the Seahawks defense woke up from their nap during the 4th quarter and sent the Redskins home.

Sorry, Ken. Bask in it all you want this week. It's all going to come to a screeching halt for you next week when the Seahawks come into Green Bay and get beat down. Mike and Matt are going to find this homecoming pretty sad.....again.

Keith

Ken

Well I've had a few beers and mellowed a bit. Think you may be right is the first time I have used RS Logix 5000 but have to admit, it still sucks. I use to be a Step 5 user then came over here from the UK and had to learn Allen Bradley quickly found RS Logix 500 a nice easy platfrom to use, however I have also been using Siemens Step 7 ie Simatic Manager, have to admit it feels far more superior to Allen Bradley software.

Give it time

I started out as a Siemens S7 PLC programmer. When I moved to our packaging facility, I began using RSLogix 500. I found that program easy to use. Then out came the Control/Compactlogix series and RSLogix 5000. At first, I found it rather cumbersome but with the latest revisions especially v16, I find the program just as easy to use as RSLogix 500 with many times the capability. The key is to set up you tag database upfront or at least with some forethought. I think that at first the fact that you cannot just assign T4:0 for a timer, or a B3:1/0 for bit on the fly seems cumbersome. In logix 5000 you can assign timers or bits to tags on the fly (and call them whatever you desire) but you really do not take advantage of the logix memory structure. I still specify micrologix 1100s for small applications but use either the controllogix or compactlogix for everything else.

I've had all the football (it's a game we play with pads and helmets here, Tonk) disappointment I can handle this season, being a Fighting Irish fan. Gotta enjoy what you've got handy.

Two of the Seahawks who excelled this weekend were Seattle natives in high school, including #81 Nate Burleson who was a standout at my old school. It was neat to see them enjoying a big win in front of the hometown crowd.

Remember that Green Bay is the favorite team of A-B headquarters, so I'm going to talk as much trash as I can to factory guys, right up to gametime. Next week we're having a party with a bunch of GBP fans in Seattle; they're counting on my bratwurst skills.

Well Ken lets hope ya brat skills hold up as for the GBP fans hope they excell in there hospitallity as true Brits always do!!!! Have to admit though the only true footie is the hallowed game played at home. However real men play Rugby (legalised fist fight for 80 minutes).

/shrug. Not that I enjoy flame wars, but I'm exceedingly happy that I was able to finally delete all of my Siemens Step 5 / Step 7 / everything software after changing jobs a couple of years ago, even after using it for 10 years. I'd sooner become a french-fry sales representative at the local chain burger joint then take another job involving Siemens PLC's/HMI's.

I bought a hammer at Home Depot since I am going to use nails instead of screws using a screw driver. But I keep hitting my fingers with the hammer. That hammer really sucks.

I have a motto when it comes to things like this:

"Things are only difficult when you do not know them"

Someone who has not learned RSLogix or used it a lot may find it difficult. Someone who has not learned or used Siemens may find it difficult.

Another very good case is Windows versus Linux. Someone that has used Windows for years would likely find Linux difficult.

There also seems to be a direct relation between ease of use and fetures/capabilities. A calculator is very easy to use, but has very limited capabilties. A computer will initially be more difficult, but has MUCH more capability.

I always try to think back on my first experiences with different software and hardware. For example, I am a big user of Beckhoff TwinCAT and it all seems very easy to me. But I do remember the first time I tried to use it before I knew how, it took me a week to get my first program running. Of course I was completely on my own with no training or manuals.

Actually, 5000 is much better than 500 IF YOU ACCEPT TAG BASED ADRESSING.

The online editing, data monitoring, and file functions in 5000 are much improved.

Tag based adressing is a mixed blessing, even after you get through the learining curve. It takes longer to set up, isn't as transparent to many HMIs, and requires more discipline to be intuitive to the programmer. Once a good system is set up it is faster to use, and allows short cuts like cut and pasting blocks and user defined data typesthat simplify tag arrays for similar functions.

Get used to tag based programming. Right, wrong, or indifferent that is the way almost all new software is going to be structured.