RSLogix 600 Copy Protection Error

Stymed2000

RSLogix 500 (Version 7.00)

Fatal Error!
The copy protection license for the application could not be acquired. Error:2

This RSLogix program was working last year in my electrical vocational class. While trying to run RSLogix this year to work with our PLC electrical trainer I recieved this error. I have already been in contact with Rockwell. This version is not activated by a disk. It is activated through serial numbers. I couldnt not get the Factory Talk activation wizard to connect to the internet. Rockwell sent me a license(.lic file) via email. I put it in the directory they told me. All of this to no avail. I need help fast and would appreciate it if someone had some insight in to this issue. Thanks for your time.

My activations on this computer are still via floppy, but if I remember right the .lic needs to go in \Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\Activations. When I've done this in the past, it's always worked fine.

I don't know that any of us here will be able to help you a whole lot -- you probably need to get back to Rockwell. It could also indicate a typo in the information you gave them or in the info they entered to generate the .lic. That will all need to be confirmed.

Alright thanks. You are correct that is where they instructed me to place the .lic file and I still receive the copy protection error. Would this be caused by the software previously being activated under a different license?

This may not be the case, but since you said this was working a year ago in a training class, I have to ask: Was this software provided by the school you were attending then? If so, you may have a "Student Toolkit". These are sold to educational facilities to sell to students for doing homework assigments. If that is the case, the activation for all toolkits expire on 12/31 each year, with a built-in 60 day "grace" period. Once this expires, the software would behave as you have described. I'm not even sure that those can be "re-activated" at all. Perhaps Ron or Ken would have a definitive answer on that one.

Last edited:
The software was working a year ago in the class. Im trying to get it to work on the same computer it used to work on. It is still in the class nothing has changed besides the program not working.

Maybe one of your students removed the license. Or the license was on a network drive. Try the move activation application to see what license you have on that computer.

or try a activation floppy

hope this helps

Eugen said:
Maybe one of your students removed the license. Or the license was on a network drive. Try the move activation application to see what license you have on that computer.

or try a activation floppy

hope this helps
Right you should use the evmove application to check the license. or change the system date of last year and see is it working? developer license are for one year and they expire on 28 February.so revert system date to before 28 february last year abnd check.

Same Issue, But Different

I have recently upgraded my RS500 from 7.00 to 8.30 and everything went along fine(The 8.3 was installed in a VM by VMware)

When Installed in the original VM everything worked fine and the program worked OK, however when i transferred the VM to a Laptop to go to site I get the Error noted by the OP in this thread. I have tried running the VM right off of the hard drive it was copied to and also copying it to the Laptop and starting it there.

The licenses were never moved or deleted and using the RESET License Utility v4.7 it shows a RS500.exe license of 1 with 0 in use.

I also have RS5000 (v16.00) and it starts fine with no license issue from both the drive and the laptop.

any information would be helpful, and if you need more from me let me know

Rock

Rock: not saying that you did this, but a co-worker of mine bought rslogix 500 & 5000 on ebay. you could see that the cd's were copies (most probably bootleg) per him he installed the 500 version, it worked ok, then he installed the 5000, doing so erased his 500 licence, so he was out several hundred dollars.