UIC does not recognize PLC, cable maybe?

ranger801

I just purchased a UIC cable to communicate with a SLC501 and it does not recognize the PLC, it can't even see it.
COM port is 9
All settings as per instructions.
What I'm not sure about is the cable, I'm using a standard ethernet cable. Is this a problem? Do I need a different configuration? Does anyone have a cable scheme, if that's what I need?
I hate these problems:)

Mickey
Thanks for the info, right after I posted my question I found the link you sent me and am presently making up a cable.
I only have CAT5 cable so I'm going blu, blu/wh, brn, brn/wh, org, org/wh and grn, grn/wh. This is left to right looking at the non contact side.
Should be ok for this application or do you recommend something else?
It's 10:45 here and I just can't make up the second connection so guess I'll hit the sack and go at it in the morning.
Thanks Again
Ranger

In my experience, there's something funny about how SLC-5/00, /01, and /02 controller behave when they're the only node on a DH485 network with a 1747-UIC. They're like the shy kid at the party; they won't start talking until somebody else does.

What I've done with 5/02's and the 1747-UIC is to plug the UIC into an SLC-5/03 DH485 port and get it communicating, then plug it quickly into the 5/02's port and it keeps working.

The other trick I've used is to attach a 1747-AIC isolator and an old PV550 to the DH485 network. Then the 1747-UIC started working right away.

If you have an operating network with the 5/01 or 5/02 attached, you have no problem. It's just when the 5/01 or 5/02 and the 1747-UIC are the only devices on a point-to-point DH485 network.

You also need to positively identify the COM port that the UIC is using. You will need to go into device manager and find it under the USB settings. Then set your RSLinx for that com port.