Logging of DB's in S7 via TCP-IP

Fuzzylogic

Dear,

I want to simultaneous log the values of some DB's from 6 different Siemens S7 PLC's in our factory. All of these PLC's are connected on our industrial network. The logfiles should be saved daily on our server in some format i can work with in Excel.

I looked for software for this, and i found Accon Easylog. With this program it works fine, The only problems i encounter is that it's an Demoversion wich works only 24 hours. After that, i must restart everything. The other problem is that i have to open the application 6 times to connnect to all 6 the PLC's.

Are there other (cheap)programs available which can do this ? Or can i do something within Step7 to log the variable tables ?

Greetings,

Fuzzy

Hi,

We wanted the same thing and noticed datalogging for S7 isn't that easy/cheap. We went for the easiest way we could:
Datalogging through the HMI.
We use OP270's with ethernet-connection and log data-changes to a server. Then we use homemade 'thingy' to read out the logs (csv-files) and write only the relevant data into SQL-server.

Don't know what HMI you have, but you might want to check out if it is possible that way.

Thanks for the replies. We have 4 TP270 and 2 TP27-10 panels. None of them have ethernet capability, but with an CF card that's possible i presume.

Because the PLC's are already connected to ethernet, i would prefer to go this way.

I think Wincc Flexible might be the solution, but not cheap of course :)

You can use libnodave its free and can be used with excel but i requires some coding skills. Examples for excel and other languages are included.

Hi there,

I checked libnodave but does it works for windows platform ?
I know some minor programming skills, VB etc. but to make a logging to excel the lights go out for me ;)

Yes, libnodave works on the windows platform, but I believe you need to be a fairly competent (C?) programmer to implent it. If you feel up to giving it a try and need some help then you can post your questions here, since the author of libnodave visits the forum fairly regularly.

RMA said:
Yes, libnodave works on the windows platform, but I believe you need to be a fairly competent (C?) programmer to implent it..

No you dont have to program in C i have used Libnodave with VB.net and it can be integrated directly into excel using the vb functions in excel. I have never tried it with excel but i have seen other applications using Libnodave with VB6. Use vb and write to a comma separated text file that you can open with Excel.

Last edited:
Here is a link to an application using libnodave with vb6 LotTrack. I can give you my project using vb.net if you want but i dont consider myself to be a very good vb programmer so maybe someone has a better example

Fuzzylogic said:
Dear,

I want to simultaneous log the values of some DB's from 6 different Siemens S7 PLC's in our factory. All of these PLC's are connected on our industrial network. The logfiles should be saved daily on our server in some format i can work with in Excel.

Please clarify one thing.
As soon I understood, your PLC's fill up a big DB's with some data during the day and you have to retrieve this data daily at once, isn't?

If it is, I hope can to help you. I have working solution.

No, In the DB's are the values i want to monitor/log. I want them with an refresh rate of 5 minutes.

I want to log the machine speed over several days

Do I need Visual Basic 6 for Lottrack ?

I downloaded the other needed files like MySQL, Myodbc, Libnodace, etc..

Anyone has experience with this program ?

Fuzzylogic said:
Thanks for the replies. We have 4 TP270 and 2 TP27-10 panels. None of them have ethernet capability, but with an CF card that's possible i presume.

Because the PLC's are already connected to ethernet, i would prefer to go this way.

I think Wincc Flexible might be the solution, but not cheap of course :)

You could try the redlion datastation plus or a G303, this will talk to all the s7's over ethernet and can log to CF or directly over the network to a server.

I will take this as another vote for the usefulness of a "free" version of a FactorySQL data logger.

I was just recently surveying users on what would be useful for a free version of FactorySQL. It's a commercial package that provides an easy drag/drop/log interface to SQL databases. The free version would include .CSV logging capabilities.

You can provide feature inputs or feedback to the .CSV portion here:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=12965

Fuzzylogic said:
Dear,

I looked for software for this, and i found Accon Easylog. With this program it works fine, The only problems i encounter is that it's an Demoversion wich works only 24 hours. After that, i must restart everything. The other problem is that i have to open the application 6 times to connnect to all 6 the PLC's.

Are there other (cheap)programs available which can do this ? Or can i do something within Step7 to log the variable tables ?

Greetings,

Fuzzy

Any updates yet ?

Regarding this program, we have the Azeotech Daqfactory software in our factory. This program has TCP-IP and OPC capability, but the tcp-ip protocol is not included. Anyone has any idea to get this working?

With the OPC connection, i tried to work with a demo of KepwareEx. I managed to get the server running, but when Daqfactory searches for OPC server, he doesn't find anything !

We have Wincc license in our factory. Is it possible with wincc to do a logging of DB's and write it down to Excel ? Or do i need Wincc Datamonitor ?