Tag Upload/Download Tool Questions

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
After researching this nice little utility from AB I tryed it out for the first time this morning on a SLC 5/05 processor. It successfully pulled all of the proccessor tags into a file on my hard drive and I proceded to download my program upgrade into the 5/05. When I attempted to download the Tags back into the 5/05 the first of the tag bundles went in fine, and then the system just sort of went to sleep. A second attempt with the fault log turned on showed some 1900 of 2209 tags as failing to download. AB has not bothered to include a "clear all" function on the fault acknowledge function (has anybody ever tried to hit an OK button 1900+ times)!! I read through the program help files and found nothing wrong in the procedure I used, are there some other things not mentioned in this utility I should be aware of? I would really like to use this utility as I have several CLX projects out there with some extensive UDT's built in that this would really come in handy.

I actually found this tool one day while looking for something else.

Anyway, I tested it and found that it was not flexible enough for use in my area. One failure is at the tag downloading - you have no option of what you want to download - it is all or nothing.

So, I created my own using Excel and VBA. Took some work, but it now fits my requirements. I also put in a feature that I could assign a tag to a different address, and I could transfer the data table value from pre location to post. This helps when you are consolidating data tables for efficiency gains.

Tag Up/Down

I made me an excel and VBA page that can read the tag text file and present it as a table or generate a tag file from a table.

That way you can easily read the results and write whatever you want to the controller.

Do you connect directly to the controller and not use the Tag Up/Down utility at all? because that's what I'm aiming to create now.

I do not use the Tag Up/Down Load utility at all - as I stated prior - it does not fit my requirements.