NO RS232 on my laptop

Are you asking how to get a serial port on your laptop. You can use PCMCIA cards (search under RS232 or serial port and PCMCIA) or USB to serial adapters.

If you're asking about communication interfaces, everything's going Ethernet.

CH1 said:
Hi, whats the best way forward with USB replacing Rs232 as standard,

I am used to using the rs232 to communicate with PLCs. I can talk to my networked PLC over ethernet ok, i just need a way to talk to the stand alone unit that I have various cables for (FX,s, Micrologics)

If they're serial on one end you could use either idea I mentioned above: USB or PCMCIA -> serial.

CH1 said:
I am used to using the rs232 to communicate with PLCs. I can talk to my networked PLC over ethernet ok, i just need a way to talk to the stand alone unit that I have various cables for (FX,s, Micrologics)

USB to RS232 can be a pain in the ***, because not all converters deliver real RS232. PCMCIA is supposed to be better.

Search this forum for more info on USB to serial converters, this has been covered before in-depth, stating which brands of converters did or didn't work with what brand of PLCs.

Kind regards,

I have recently tested a Moxa USB to RS232 converter, it had no problems on either Modicon, Siemens or SEW equipment. As a reputable automation equipment supplier, their stuff should work a bit better that something from a computer shop.

In addition, a check with different suppliers can yield USB connectors designed for that supplier's own equipment.
We have used Siemens, Pilz and SEW USB converters for that respective equipment. Modicon has recently added direct USB ports to their PLCs, and I am sure you can find similar equipment for your other suppliers.

Having said all that, we have ended up specifying Ethernet for all new PLC equipment, partly for the reason that RS232 is no longer standard on new PCs. That and it is also more flexible and better for most programming requirements.

My advice: Don't waste your time with USB-serial converters. Yes people will tell you that a certain dongle works reliably with Brand X device, I'm sure that's true but in my experience they're just too fussy.

If you're fortunate enough to have a PCMCIA slot on your laptop (I've heard they're starting to phase those out too), get a PCMCIA-serial adapter, they are much more robust. We put these cards in all of our new laptops now. I like the dual-port card because you can set up RSLinx to hog one COM port and still have one free for everything else.

Plus, once you set up the COM port assignments for the PCMCIA card, they will remain fixed. One thing that drives me nuts about the USB dongles (at least with the ones I've used) is that they get a different COM port assigned if you plug them into a different USB port and you have to check the Device Manager every time.

Just my 2 cents.

kolyur said:
My advice: Don't waste your time with USB-serial converters.
I'm with you there....

Never forget that there are still plenty of options out there for buying brand new, up to date notebook computers WITH a conventional RS232 port. Seek and ye shall find....

Muz

surferb said:
Ugh, yeah - already said that twice. ;-) (it's ok, I do that too...)

I think geniusintraining sells them. Whoever it was was very accomodating at shipping, return policy, supporting it, etc.

Yes I do sell them, I offer money back (to the US folks, not shipping) if the Keyspan does not work for there application and I have never had one returned yet...

I also sell USB/combo cables but they are not Keyspan, these have been tested with several computers (Dell, emachine, Compact and Sony with Win2k and XP) and never had any not work, but I have more faith in the Keyspan as they will work for more then just PLC's

I sent one to Jean for testing for S7 200's.

I also just bought a new Dell 630 with a real serial port and I love it :)

I would suggest that you see if you can buy a Keyspan over on that side of the pond as I have good shipping rates on my other cables but these packages will not fit in an envelope, so I can unpackage it and ship for 13.95 or 24.00 in a box :(

What kind of PLC's do you have?

I got me one of these cool little devices

SDnew.jpg

Is a bluetooth to serial adaptor made by "Initium" called a "Promi-SD"
For the most part no more cables !!