Modicon Test Bench

Dallin

Happy New Year guys. I was just looking for some advice on building a test bench to learn Modicon PLC's. I have access to a PLC5 and ControlLogix test bench at work and some access to a Step5 that is controlling our Log lines, so i'll be able to learn that as time goes by. Another Electrician in the department is buying plc parts from ebay to put a bench together for himself so I thought i'd do the same but get a system that I have not used before.

I would just like to know what kind of basic system would be good to learn the programing/networking/etc. for the Modicons.

I would think I would need to find Software...Interface card/Cable...Processor...Input card...output card...Power supply. I have seen some systems on ebay similar to Micrologix units that look to have all of it in one small unit so i am hoping to get something like that.

As time goes by i'd like to put other benches together for most of the popular plcs but i'll start with the Modicon.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Bill.

Cheapest Modicon 984 platform you'll find is probably a Momentum.

Software-wise I would go for Proworx NxT (Win2k) or Proworx 32 (XP) You may be able to get Taylorsoft/Modsoft for free but its DOS-based and horribly outdated.

Good luck with Modicon as it completely different to anything else you've probably seen!

Thnx for the reply. I'll start looking around for it. I am looking forward to trying it out just to get my feet wet using other styles of programing.

So much stuff I want to learn and so little time.

Well downloaded the demo. Thnx for the link. It should be fun starting all over again learning how to config a new plc.

Do you want to learn the old modicon, or Modicon telemecanique that is used today? My guess would be modicon telemecanique plcs (micro, premium, quantum)

Last edited:
I would like to learn it all or at least make myself familiar with them all. At this point I know nothing about modicons other than what the Demo looks like.

Our mill has Step5 but once I start learning Seimens plc I think I will just start with Step7 so if Modicon has a similar situation I think I will go with the newer systems.

How is the Help file on the Demo? I should be able to at least get something done with it just using the help?

I find the help quite good, but if you are having trouble follow these steps to get started.

Launch Proworx32

When LOGIN screen appears click BYPASS

click

File
New NewProjectXYZ
Open
Select Controller type
Next>
Pick the controller you want to play with (Quantums are very current)
Select Comms (whatever you like, Modbus default is OK)
Next>
Finish

You should see a mostly blank screen with toolbar icons on top
very top should read Proworx32 -[Newprojectxyz]Offline

Find the icon that looks like ladder logic and reads "logic" when you hover over it and click.

You should see a large white section with numbers 1 to 11 across the top and 1 to 7 down the left.

This is Network 1 of Segment 1.

With the blue square cursor over top left (1,1)click the -||- (n.o. contact) icon at the top left. Double click the -||- in 1,1 and you highlight the ?????. type 1, you see 1:, type another 1 you see 1:0001, hit ENTER.

You have started a program with input 1

Modicon addressing uses 1xxxxx for inputs, 0xxxxx for outputs, 3xxxxx for analog values read from I/O and 4xxxxx for holding registers,

With the blue curser in location 2(over),1(down) click -()- icon.
Double click over the location 2,1. Type 0(zero), you see 0:, type 1, you see 0:0001, hit ENTER

You have logic that if input 1 is turned on Output 1 is turned on.

When you are ready to run simulation look for Icon that looks like two little desktop computers with an = between "Take project to Emulation"

Go nuts and if you have any questions just ask.

Brian.

Last edited:
Good luck with Modicon as it completely different to anything else you've probably seen!

Wow you where not kidding. I was messing around with it and was abble to program the basic logic no problem. I dont have the processor yet so I can't use real world inputs and outputs so I was hoping to use a blinking timer.

I have RSLogix emulator for 5 and 500 and I usually just use 2 TON timers to make a bit blink and just use that to trigger any logic that I am using.

Is it possible to do the same? I realize I have more reading to do to get a handle on this but if I can get an internal bit to flash I can at least see things changing state.

Sorry to be a pain. :)

Dallin said:
Wow you where not kidding. I was messing around with it and was abble to program the basic logic no problem. I dont have the processor yet so I can't use real world inputs and outputs so I was hoping to use a blinking timer.

I have RSLogix emulator for 5 and 500 and I usually just use 2 TON timers to make a bit blink and just use that to trigger any logic that I am using.

Is it possible to do the same? I realize I have more reading to do to get a handle on this but if I can get an internal bit to flash I can at least see things changing state.

Sorry to be a pain. :)

First, You are not learning to program MODICON or Proworx32. You are learning to program 984 Ladder Logic (984LL). 984LL is the operating system for several different Modicon PLC families (984, Compact, Modicon Micro, Quantum, and Momentum). Very few 984LL commands are processor dependent. Except for things like network commands, math requiring floating point, and of course the I/O map (traffic cop) one 984LL program can be moved from one family to another as long as there is enough memory.

So, yes if you could create basic logic in a PLC5 you can create equivalent logic in 984LL. Remember that 984LL was created to use similar commands to the older 884, and 584 programs so its command set will feel like a flash back to the early 1980s.

984LL uses networks (actually a 7 high by 10 wide matrix) rather than simple ladder rungs. This can be intimidating at first, but if you don't care about memory optimization just put one rung per network and your logic will function the same as a "ladder" program. After you get more proficient you can then see how the position of device in the network affects the order in which they are solved.

To simulate real word inputs start emulation mode, hover over stop/start light icon, click continuous solve, start.

As in previous example right click on -||- 1:00001 DATA, Disable ON.

Poof you have green power flow moving from the left power rail trhough the -||- to the coil 0:0001 -()-

Timers and counters you can drag and drop from the Instruction List on the right side.

You will have to use the Help with these as they will be foreign to you as well I expect.

Good Luck,

Brian

Dallin said:
I would just like to know what kind of basic system would be good to learn the programing/networking/etc. for the Modicons.

I just got a Modicon M340 trial unit and a 60 day trial version of the software from the Square D guy. It has BMX P34 2030 processor. This processor has a USB port, Ethernet port, CanOpen port, and a memory card slot. The unit also has two input cards (1 ac and 1 dc), a relay output card, an analog card, and an Ethernet comms module. I haven't gotten to play with it much yet. I think the main thing to learn would be the communications.

You can program these Modicons in ladder, structured text, function block, sequential function chart, and instruction list. I can only see myself using ladder and maybe some structured text. They are really trying to become a serious player it seems. Their little Twidos are a hit with me. If you want the TwidoSoft software you can download it free, just google it.

Like Jim said that logic is in 984. I would stay clear of it as it will soon be obsolete. Rather get trial versions of pl7 pro or if you can unity pro.
I would try and get the latter (Has a built in simulator) and get a m340 plc (awesome plc).
If u dont want to splash out, get pl7 pro and a Tsx micro.
Shouldnt waste ur time on old equiptment if you dont have it in ur plant, cause ur not going to buy that old equiptment(I hope not)

Last edited:
Also if you want to get the twido software rather go for twidosuite (later version). Its also free. I would also download Zelio soft (also free).