Free OPC data logger - development input

surferb

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm collecting input for a free datalogging version of FactorySQL to include .CSV logging. What I need from you is: would it be useful as described, answers to my questions, and ideas on how it could be made better. You don't have to get into the "knitty gritty" for a good response. A simple "yes" or "no" on the concept and why would be helpful.

1. FactorySQL currently supports: MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, and, I think, Access.
1a. I'm thinking that a .CSV group to support logging to a spreadsheet (format) would be useful. It would need to be able to write to a network path and automatically separate files by date. The file lock aspect of users opening the spreadsheet (instead of a copy) seems pesky.
3. Alarming - I don't know whether they'd be willing to include alarming functionality in a free version. The current setup creates and maintains a "realtime" alarm status table and an "alarm history" table. It sends email alerts that users typically set up to receive as text messages on their cell phones. Would this be significant to you beyond a datalogger?

I think a free verion of FactorySQL would be a great alternative for users who do the VBA DDE through RSLinx in Excel thing.

ideas?

Last edited:
Nathan
Have done data logging using Fluke data loggers. Currently using Fluke Hydra data buckets export data in CSV to computer using cable. Normally large files approx 15 parameters measured every 5 minute. Download data weekly.

What I would want:
1. NO password - if I want it I will set it - otherwise do not bother me with those #&#(^@(^ things.
2. Selectable scan time varying from msec (ideally 10 but 100 would do) upper end would be hourly.
3. Multiple channel 10 sounds about right.
4. Selectable download interval hourly daily weekly.
5. Raw data only - values needed are date and time and at a minimum mV - scaling would be nice but just as easy to do in Excell. If scaling costs me a reduction of data points forget it.
6. Thermocouple and RTDs would be converted to temp value in similar manner to that done by Fluke. I recognize this conflicts with # 5.
7. Encoders used as source of RPM could either read in PPM or scaled to RPM. Guess I am getting complicated here. Again a conflict with # 5.
Dan Bentler

Oh - I was thinking to support 100.

leitmotif said:
Means I can monitor 10 different parameters. Unit would take a reading of each of 10 at interval specified and they would be simulaneous readings.

Dan

Sounds good

Nathan,

We would not need a RSLinx pro license everytime we setup a temporary spreadsheet to do some troubleshooting. I'm excited to see what you guys develop in this regard.

Greg

(thanks for demo #2 yesterday)

Correct - although I'll contact Kepware to see if they're interested in supporting a free data logger.

ghettofreeryder said:
You will still need an OPC server, as the proposed software is an OPC to SQL bridge more or less.