OPC <----> ODBC. Which software is best ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi.

I have gotten involved in a project that requires that data be sent from the customers database to my PLC. For this I foresee the use of an OPC Client for ODBC. The question is which one ?
I intend to do my own testing, but I also appreciate if anyone have some experience to share.

I have found these candidates already:

OPC Datahub.

Kepware OBDC Client driver.

Any other ?

What type of database is your customer using?

That's one of the things that FactorySQL is good at. You can download a free 2 hour runtime trial. It is an OPC client that requires an OPC server to communicate with the PLC. The installer includes a demo of KepServer Ex.

I'd be happy to show you how to use the software over the 'net. Send me a PM if you're interested.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?download=758

JesperMP said:
Hi.

I have gotten involved in a project that requires that data be sent from the customers database to my PLC. For this I foresee the use of an OPC Client for ODBC. The question is which one ?
I intend to do my own testing, but I also appreciate if anyone have some experience to share.

I have found these candidates already:

OPC Datahub.

Kepware OBDC Client driver.

Any other ?

Last edited:
Hi Nathan.

I am investigating this at the moment. So far I am only assuming it is an ODBC database.

I should have remembered Inductive Automation myself. It sounds interesting, but 2000 USD is a little steep for my modest requirements.
I probably have to fetch 10 values from the same records in database. If I have to do it cyclically or triggered, I do not know at the moment.

I normally agree with Nathan, especially when it come to this type of application. However if your reuqirements are very modest and you dont see a lot of big time growth which would warrent that kind of cost. And of course the big if is if you can program in VB, then you might want to search this forum for Free Scada. There was a topic on it not long ago and there was also a link to a video about it on you tube. If your crafty enough and can not forsee spending the money on an already programmed suite such as Inductive Automation, Citect, etc.. then you might want to check into this.

Hope this helps, have a great day.

JesperMP said:
Hi Nathan.

I am investigating this at the moment. So far I am only assuming it is an ODBC database.

I should have remembered Inductive Automation myself. It sounds interesting, but 2000 USD is a little steep for my modest requirements.
I probably have to fetch 10 values from the same records in database. If I have to do it cyclically or triggered, I do not know at the moment.

Yeah, agree. OP hadn't stated his requirements prior to my first response. For 10 data points anything that works would do - as long as you don't get into a time sink.

The free (VB) SCADA video was by Archie, here. It has to be AB ethernet, though.

mrtweaver said:
I normally agree with Nathan, especially when it come to this type of application. However if your reuqirements are very modest and you dont see a lot of big time growth which would warrent that kind of cost. And of course the big if is if you can program in VB, then you might want to search this forum for Free Scada. There was a topic on it not long ago and there was also a link to a video about it on you tube. If your crafty enough and can not forsee spending the money on an already programmed suite such as Inductive Automation, Citect, etc.. then you might want to check into this.

Hope this helps, have a great day.

While the $2000 might seem expensive, how much time will it take to configure the other software? I myself, have only used RSSQL and FactorySQL. I cant imagine anything being easy that FSQL, but thats just my opinion

I have investigated the Kepware product a little more (because it is the cheapest !).
It is an OPC Server, so that it is the opposite of what I have originally intended (*). So I would have to get the data from one server to the other server, but for this I have a simple idea.
I use WinCC Flexible RT already, and there is the bundled OPC server which I also use. So, I figure I can simply copy values from one connection (ODBC database via Kepware OPC server) to tags on another connection (my PLC via Simatic Net OPC server) via simple scripts in WinCC Flexible.

I am still interested in other solutions though. Simplicity and a rasonably low price are my priorities.

*: I originally envisioned a connection from a software package that would be a client to the OPC server as well as a client to the ODBC database server.

A small update.

Hi.

It is going slowly with getting the information from the customer, and getting an agreement on who does what.
I know now that the database is Oracle.
The customer prefers to do everything by himself, but on the other hand I get questions back such as "What is OPC ? Can you provide some information about it ?". This sort of tells me that they are not up to the task.

If it ends with that I have to do it:

FactorySql is a favorite, this only because of praise from users on this forum, and because the setup is done without scripts or strange coding. Price of 2000 USD is sligthly ofputting for transferring 5 (which it turns out to be now) values. Could be interesting to try the software out anyway.

RSSQL. Haha. For a 150 tags license I have to pay 3000+ USD. Dont think I will.

OPC DataHub. In order to transfer data from the ODBC database to the PLC I have to write some scripts. I dont like that, despite the supplier has promised to provide help. Price is 1000 USD.
Interesting product anyway. I would like to experiment with its many features.

KepWare ODBC Client driver. On the OPC side it is a server, so I have to do something extra to transfer the data from one server to the other. As I have my WinCC Flexible HMI, I could simply setup tags from one OPC server to be transferred to the other OPC server in my HMI. Price is 800 USD.

I'll keep you updated how it goes.

Last edited:
A bit of disclosure first. Derek McFarland mentioned I/Gear in a post up above. I am an engineer at I/Gear.

That being said, I/Gear would be the perfect solution to your problem.

Our Data Transport Utility runs as a service on a host PC or server and has a point-and-click interface (i.e no scripting) to configure connections and data transfer for multiple devices and software produts.

For the database connection, we use a native driver (we call them DataLinks) to connect to the Oracle database, though one could also use our generic OLEDB DataLink.

You did not mention what type of PLC you are connecting, so there are a few options. In most cases we need an OPC Server to connect to a PLC. Kepware is by far the best for price and connectivity.

We also have a native DataLink that can communicate via ModBus. Finally, if you have a ControlLogix PLC, we have a native DataLink that communicates with those.

As I mentioned above, none of this requries scripting, though there is support for that in the prodcut should you need to do some advance data analysis prior to sending it to the database.

You can download a demo here. I notice from your profile that you may be outside North America, so if our web form does not allow you to download the product directly, please e-mail me and I can send you a link.

Hi Mike.
You wouldnt have to have a list price ?

I have to confess that I am totally undecided at the moment.

FactorySQL seems a bit too expensive for the functionality I need.

OPC DataHub costs half of FactorySQL, but requires scripts.

KepWare ODBC Client cost even less and would only require that I link tags from one OPC server to another, so I ecided to try it out. I signed up on their website to get an account that would allow me to download the demo. And then ... nothing happened. They are supposed to send an emial confirming my status - but I havent heard from them. Oh well, I guess they are out.

I also contacted Matrikon, but hahaha, I would have to purchase 2 of their products to be able to do what I need. Each would cost 2000 USD, so I dont think I will.

Out of pure interest, I jumped at writing scripts in WinCC Flexible, and I have got it working. Both reading and writing of SQL tables. And it is largely configurable on the HMI so it is not 100% hardcoded. So if nothing better turns up, I may have to go this way.

Still, if the price is right, I would prefer to use a product that does not require scripting at all.

In the end, I have to go and commision the project in May.

edit:
I forgot to tell. The customer has given up, and asked me to do whats necessary.

Also, dont worry about how I have to connect to the PLC side. I use Siemens OPC server already.

Last edited:
Pricing

Would it be okay to e-mail you to discuss pricing? We have specific pricing for point solutions like this, but there are no limits on the number of tags or commands you can use within a particular connection.

Also, if you are using Siemens OPC Server, then that simplifies the process. You would then use the Data Transport Utility to connect to the OPC Server and Oracle.

Thanks,

Michael Atwell