directsoft 5

plc noob

in directsoft 5 there are options to wtite project to plc and write program to plc . program is ladder code only and project is vmem and other stuff i think . question is how do i upload a project from the plc i.e. ladder code and vmem values ? can i save the vmem values with the ladder code and download it to a different plc . will the new plc have the ladder code and the correct vmem values ? i know i will have to choose download project to plc . my problem is upload project . i do not see a way to do that . i have searched the internet and looked in the manual

Yes you can copy Vmemory as well as other configuration data to your project on disk. If you go to the “PLC” menu then “Copy config data from PLC to disk” you will have several options there. Just click on ALL and it will copy all of what you need.

Hope that helps

so to save project file - save project to disk or plc and to read in or upload project read program into pc and then do copy config data from plc . that correct to get vmem and ladder from plc

If you want to save everything including Vmemory to or from the PLC then do as Bernie said with “Project”. If you want to selectively save Vmemory, config data, etc then use the method I explained.

sorry . i just do not see a way to read/upload project from plc . direct soft 5 . i see save p and the description for this button say saves project to active plc link . and i see readp button but the description on that says read only the program from plc ?

Under the FILE menu, Save Project to disk. That will read all the data from the PLC and save it to disk. To down load a Project to the PLC use Save Project to PLC.

Is it possible to create a CSV file using all vmem data or a vmem range after saving the project to disk (while connected to the plc)?

I'm looking to log a specific range of vmem's to log permanently in a CSV or TXT file. This can't be as simple as copying one of the project files to XXX.csv, can it?

Tanno,

If your number of Vmems is 99 or less. Just create a "data view" with the Vmems you want to save. Then while online right click on the "data view" select export, save it and it will be in a csv file. If it's more than 99 items then you will need more than one "data view".

plc noob said:
sorry . i just do not see a way to read/upload project from plc . direct soft 5 . i see save p and the description for this button say saves project to active plc link . and i see readp button but the description on that says read only the program from plc ?
I think you're asking if you can save the entire Project to the PLC. You can't. Only the code and config. info gets stored. The descriptions, etc. are stored only on your hard drive or floppy.
(Bernie and other experts, please expand/correct)