Express card to PCMCIA

Don't most laptops with expresscard slots also support PCMCIA in the same "port" (different pins & guide, of course)?

Alan Case said:
Hi.
If any one is interested I found this item.
http://www.roalan.com/expresscard_to_pcmcia_cardbus.htm
Would anyone have used one yet with either an AB DH+/DH485 card, the AB DNet card, the AB CNet card or any of the Schnieder cards.
Regards Alan

That's why I said "different guide and pins" - I'm under the impression that (in many laptop models) they both fit in the same "hole" like the multi-card readers. I could be wrong - I don't use expansion cards (PCMCIA or express card) much.

Alan Case said:
Depends if you can use a hammer to force the PCMCIA into the express card slot. (2 different sizes)
Regards Alan

Nathan, they are phasing out the larger slot, so those of us with the full size PCMCIA cards will need an adapter. I know that the new Dell I just bought does not take full PCMCIA cards. Unfortunately, these cards are not going away soon for many of us.

[sarkasm] I just love the way the PCMCIA card protrudes from the Express Card adapter [/sarkasm].
I can imagine Express Card slot --> Adapter --> Siemens CP5511 card --> CP5511 cable with "dongle" --> Profibus cable.o_O
Good that we are using ethernet almost exclusively now. However, it is still nice to have the profibus card as a backup and as a diagnostics tool. So I may have to live with such an adapter sometimes in the future. Life doesnt get easier.

Btw. can the adapter work with both 16-bit and 32-bit PCMCIA cards ?

Jesper, this card supports 16bit. I was going to try it with my 5511 card. The whole setup will be kind of clunky though, but I have several devices where Ethernet just isn't an option.

Gotcha - that sucks! (n) I remember how much those AB PCMK cards cost. I'm sure they're not the only expensive cards that you guys have "invested" in.

S7Guy said:
Nathan, they are phasing out the larger slot, so those of us with the full size PCMCIA cards will need an adapter. I know that the new Dell I just bought does not take full PCMCIA cards. Unfortunately, these cards are not going away soon for many of us.