Controllogix PIDE problem

pauly

I am using the PIDE function in version 16 of RsLogix 5000 for a job which I am in the process of testing. The problem I am seeing is with the loop in auto and with larger changes of PV the output drops to zero and then ramps back up again. This is happening with a setpoint of 100% and the PV changing from say 30-32% i.e. a 2% change. With smaller changes there doesn't seem to be a problem. I also notice that the CVHALM is coming on.
Any body has any ideas I would be very grateful.

pauly said:
I am using the PIDE function in version 16 of RsLogix 5000 for a job which I am in the process of testing. The problem I am seeing is with the loop in auto and with larger changes of PV the output drops to zero and then ramps back up again. This is happening with a setpoint of 100% and the PV changing from say 30-32% i.e. a 2% change. With smaller changes there doesn't seem to be a problem. I also notice that the CVHALM is coming on.
Any body has any ideas I would be very grateful.

It would be best to see a trend. Other than that I would say you have found a flaw in the implementation. There is no reason why the control output should go to 0% when the SP is at 100%. So let me guess, you are using the velocity form of the PIDE and all the gains are multiplied by the error and not the PV.

I can't post a trend at the moment but when I go back to the office I will take some. Peter you are correct, I am using the velocity form of the PIDE. The cv doesn't always dive to zero but sometimes drops off by 10-20% then gradually picks back up. The application switches between the override mode and automatic, are there any initializition bits that need setting when doing this maybe? I am pulling my hair out here!!!

pauly, I bet the problem goes away if you configure the PIDE so the derivative and proportional terms are mulitplied by the PV only. The real problem is the derivative term acting on the error and not the PV. Get back to us if this fixes the problem. I will explain why then but for now you should know some forms of PID do not like step changes because the output swings into saturation due to the 'derivative kick'.

How to set PIDE to calculate Derivative on PV

You just need to select the proper calculation in the General Configuration Box.
It is about halfway down on the left side Calculate Using and allows to choose E (Error) or PV (Process Variable) for both Proportional and Derivative Term.
I think Peter is asking you just to try changing the Derivative Term first.
I have attached a screen shot of what you should see.
Derivative_on_PV.jpg

I hope this helps.