Wireless network

harrisoncw

Good day all.

Our company has recently purchased a new Siemens field pg (laptop) It has a built in Intel wireless network access port. In our factory we have 2 Belkin 54g Wireless network access points. I can see the network in the available networks list and the signal is strong but I cannot get connected. Our other laptop uses a Netgear card and I don’t have any problems getting connected to them. If I do a manual test it stops on association test. I have googled this and am not getting much from the net. Could it be a compatibility Issue between Belkin and Intel??? I have listed below some more details.

Thanks

Craig

2 X Belkin 54g

Laptop
Siemens field pg
Win XP Pro (sp2)
Intel® Pentium® M 2.00 Ghz 1 G Ram

Internal Wireless card
Intel® Pro Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

Have you checked with your IT department that the access points can accept connections from other sources ?, They may have them locked down so only certain clients can connect

Does it say "secured" or "unsecured"? Secured means that they have WEP (encryption) set up that needs a key.

As Tragically suggested, your wireless access point could be set up with MAC address filtering. That's an access control list based on the hardware address of your adapter. You can get the address if you type "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt. You're looking for the 12 digit (hex) number under "Physical Address".

Brand should be of no consequence. They should be compatible based on the same standard (802.11g).

Best solution - ask IT, or whoever set it up/maintains it.

Last edited: