Profibus Cable

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All. I have a machine that has the Green Fast connect profibus cable in it connected to a Diagnostic repeater. But currently the only profibus cable we have in stock is the Purple Multi-Strand cable. Can these be interchanged with each other or do they have different properties that wouldn't allow them to run in a system set up for the other.

I don't know what you mean by "Multi-Strand" cable. But if both cables are two core cabes, then they do the same work. The only difference is, that the green cable is a flexible, Robotic cable, so if your application involves movement of the cable, the green cable will probably last longer.

I also do not understand the "green" profibus cable. To avoid mistakes, profibus cable is normally purple. Green is usually used with ethernet/profinet, but that cable is 4-core, so it cannot be mistaken for a profibus cable.

Helukabel has a "greenish" Profibus cable with bus and power in the same cable. Also cannot be mistaken for a normal profibus cable because it has 5 cores.

What is the exact make and type of either cable ?

Firstly, you can download the whole "Industrial Communication" catalogue from the SIEMENS site. This contains all the details you may need. Now, as for the green cable, both Ethernet and robotic Profibus cables are green. The difference is that the Ethernet is, as you said a 4-Core cable, whereas the Profibus is a 2-Core cable. Also, the Robotic Profibus is a light-green and the Ethernet is a darker green hue. The Robotic Profibus cable is dubbed " FC Trailing" Product code: 6XV1 830-3EH10.

Personally, for inter-computers/HMI Ethernet, I use my standard "Category5" Ethernet cables (cheaper). However if you're planning on an Etherner Fieldbus (PROFINET), you should consider using the original SIEMENS Ethernet cables.