Comunication SLC5/04 to PVplus600

Yokes9

I posted a thread awhile ago on this subjest but had finals and then christmas break so never got around to it and can't find it again.

I am trying to get my SLC 5/04 PLC (RSlogics 500) to communicate with my Panel View Plus 600 (RSview Studio ME). I'm using a straight through cable (RS232) between them. I have created the programms for both devices. I connect the PV to my PC with an Ethernet cable and the PLC to the PC with a Crossover (null modem). I'm also using RSlinx Classic. There is no problem downloading to either device.

I think the problem is with my tags. I've tryed...

1.Just setting the address up as a B3:xx.

2.Uploading the Tag from my RSLogics 500 program it asks for a RSLinks Topic (i'm not sure what this is). The address looks like ::[RSlinx Topics]B3:xx. I am thinking I might need to set up this topics in RSlinx. There is a "topics" inside the DDE/OPC tab.

3.I've tried going into the RSlinx Enterprise Communication tab and setting up a Device shortcut. I called it BrycesTags. I set the local as my PLC (crossover) and the Taget as my PV (ethernet). This is how I did it for RSlogics 5000. Then set the Tag type as memory instead of Device. Doesn't work for this PLC using logics500.

Any Help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You have the physical wiring correct; that's good.

HMI Tags vs. Direct Connection Tags and the configuration of RSLinx Enterprise are some of the trickiest topics for novices with FactoryTalk View Studio ME.

There is some good information in the User Guides (Help -> Online Books -> User Guide Volume 1), and I recently found some instructional video clips:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/solutions/integratedarchitecture/resources4.html#ftme

What you need first is a correctly configured RSLinx Enterprise shortcut, like the one you called "BrycesTags".

Both the Local connection and the Target connection are going to be via a DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx Enterprise.

RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise won't be able to share the same COM port, so you might have to shut down or delete the driver in RSLinx Classic while you're working in FactoryTalk View Studio, and vice versa. I usually solve this issue by adding a USB/RS232 port to my PC to run RSLinx Enterprise's driver on.

Direct tag connection syntax is:

{::[RSLE_Shortcut]B3:xx/yy}

Create a test project with just one pushbutton and indicator on it, and make sure you have that working to verify your driver configuration before moving on to your actual application.

Pay close attention to the Status Bar at the bottom of the FactoryTalk View Studio window. That can provide a lot of very useful troubleshooting information about the driver and the data server when you're setting up communication.

How do I set up the Enterprise shortcut so that both the PV and the PLC are set up as DF1 the panel view only comes up as ethernet and which of the 2 is suppose to be local and which is Target? I'm guessing the PLC will be the target.