Lessons learned doing this project

yam785

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have learned a couple of lessons during this pretty huge demo project I am working. I figured I'd post them, as maybe they will be of help to others. They are listed below:

1. Don't try to set up devicenet with a newer version (16) of RSLogix5000 and an older version (4.1) of RSNetworx. It will cause you an unbelievable amount of headaches. I had nothing but problems, which it seemed no one had answers to. I hear a lot of badmouthing of A-B tech support on this site, but I have to give them kudos, as they put a lot of effort in trying to resolve my problem. After trying a number of things, the only thing they thought could be the problem, was the huge difference between my RSLogix5000 version and my RSNetworx version. They suggest I get at least version 7 of RSNetworx. I did so (version 8), and everything worked perfectly. Again, a big thanks to Joe, at A-B tech support.

2. If you are using a EZTouch HMI with Universal Ethernet, and you have it working, and then modify it and do a download, it may come up with a 'Gateway Configuration Error'. Do not start changing things. After changing everything possible, with no luck, I changed everything back, and powered it down and back up, it came up with no problems.

3. Never tell your boss you have room in your home office to do a project of this size. I've had to move funiture around to fit everything, and it was a lot to carry up my steps. See picture below, and you will see what I mean.

Myoffice.JPG

Thanks to all for your help, and I will probably need more.

Lol - awesome! Thanks for sharing that. I also like to hear good stories about tech support guys. They have a tough job that's often made harder by issues that are completely out of their hands.