Siemens Step 7 problem (corrupted?)

ProDave

My PC that has Siemens Step 7 version 5 installed (installed a long time ago) crashed. As a result I had to install a new hard disk and restore my complete drive C from a backup copy.

Mow Step 7 doesn't work.

The Simatic manager starts to open, but then I get a message something about missing S7hstatx.dll used for _S7H_STATION3_CT objects.

The file s7hstat.dll is still there in the correct place, so a missing file is not the problem. I suspect a registry entry corrupt or something.

Anyone come across this before? and know of a solution.

Don't say re install step 7, as I have misslaid my install disk. Copying from a backup like this should work, as I did exactly the same previously when changing to a large hard disk.

Just to be clear, I restored a complete image of the hard drive, including Windows 98, and everything else works okay.

Siemens Step 7 problem

If you the CD of the Simatic,you can use its Recovery/Maintenance option and fix the problem.In this case you do not need to have License disket.

ProDave said:
My PC that has Siemens Step 7 version 5 installed (installed a long time ago) crashed. As a result I had to install a new hard disk and restore my complete drive C from a backup copy.

Mow Step 7 doesn't work.

The Simatic manager starts to open, but then I get a message something about missing S7hstatx.dll used for _S7H_STATION3_CT objects.

The file s7hstat.dll is still there in the correct place, so a missing file is not the problem. I suspect a registry entry corrupt or something.

Anyone come across this before? and know of a solution.

Don't say re install step 7, as I have misslaid my install disk. Copying from a backup like this should work, as I did exactly the same previously when changing to a large hard disk.

Just to be clear, I restored a complete image of the hard drive, including Windows 98, and everything else works okay.

If only it were that simple. Read the original question, I have lost my install CD. That's why i'm trying to install from a backup copy. I still have the authorisation disk, so that's not the issue.

However, I have made a bit of progress, comparing the restored install, and that on another working PC, but need some help from a Windows 98 expert.

On the working PC, if you use the Windows Sytem Configuration utility, I find under "startup" there is an entry S7UB START "C:\SIEMENS\COMMON\S7UBTOOX\s7ubtstx.exe" -StartDB

This entry is missing from the non working PC. How do I restore it?

This "startup" group is the one item that you cannot edit from the system configuration utility, other than enabling or disabling existing items. This is NOT the same as the Startup group in the program menu.

So what I need to know is what file is this "startup" information stored in? it's not autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini or system.ini. If I can find what file this is stored in I might be able to manually edit the file to restore this entry, and see if that gets things working again.

Just a comment on the "hard drive image" (and a + if you made it work) - I know of one, big and international, company that recommend against defragmenting hard drives when having S7 installed because of the stability of the license manager.

Okay here's a bit more. I have discovered (by compatring file time / date) that this info is stored in C:|Windows\user.dat This is not a file that can just be edited.

If I try and restore the user.dat from my backup, when Windows starts, it reports an error, and promptly restored the old one.

Anyone know a utility to edit user.dat to manually add items?

I have made some more progress:

In the past I have learned that a problem with a DLL can often be a problem with files that it calls, rather than the DLL itself. So I dug out an old DOS disk editing utility and had a look at the offending s7Hstatx.dll to find all the other files that it calls. From that I determined that the file MSVCP50.DLL that should have been in the Windows\system directory was missing. I have now restored that file (don't know why it got missed from the reinstall of the backup)

I can now open Simatic manager and view a project, but if I try and open an object for editing, (say OB1) I now get a less helpfull error message "Open Object (256:26) An Internal OLE Error occurred"

That's less helpfull. Any ideas what actual program is called to edit an object?

If its is the LAD/STL/FBD editor you mean its called "S7kafapx.exe" its located in your \Siemens\Step7\S7SKA folder