rs 500 discription help

joeparrish

Ok I have a program I have to do some changes on. The person who wrote it saved all of the discriptions as instruction and not as address. Is there a way to change this so it is veiwable in the cross ref with out haveing to go to each one one at a time?

"Saved as instruction and not as address"? Does that mean that the view only shows you the symbol & description and no address?

I believe that there is a setting in the RSLogix options menu. I don't have Logix installed on this PC (new laptop) so I can't point you to the exact spot. If memory serves, it is in the same place where you can change the address display from Word/Bit to /Bit. I'm thinking that it is under the View menu when the file is open in Logix.

No you see both add and dis when you look at the rungs. When you go to the cross ref all you have is the add no discriptions. When you edit the discriptions you can save it as the address or as the instruction only the address is veiwable in the cross ref

If the decsriptions exist, I would expect them to up in the rung, the cross reference and the data table. I don't know what is going on in your situation...

Joe,

Do you mean that the addresses have "descriptions, but no "symbols" (descriptive text assigned to each address?

If so, the only way to move the "descriptions" for the description database to the symbol database is manually. You will have to edit them to meet the requirements for symbols: No two the same, not longer than the Smbol Length set in "Tools, Options, System Preferences", and no spaces in the text. Because of these restictions, I use descriptions more than symbols, except where there is an HMI involved.

In the RSLogix Cross-Reference Report, I see Address, Description, and all File & Rung Locations where this address occurs in the program. Symbols are also shown if the Address has a symbol assigned to it.

Last edited:
When you create address comments, you can assign them to instructions + addresses, or just to the addresses.

For example, XIC B3/10 may have one comment, XIO B3/10 may have another entirely unique comment, and B3/10 itself may have yet another.

The instruction comment will be displayed if it exists. If not then RSLogix will show the address comment.

I would suggest exporting them for editing in csv file format, but I am not sure that will work.

You may have to manually open each one, then select all the text (CTRL+A or shift+ctrl+end), CTRL+X, (cut) and change the radio button from "Instruction" to "Address" and click CTRL+V (paste).

Later, when I get to work, I may experiment with exporting to see what happens...