Omron NE1A Safety to AB devicenet

averellen

I am working on a project where I could use either the Smartguard 600 Safety Controller or NE1A-SCPU02 Safety Controller.
The NE1A-SCP02 Controller has 40 inputs where the Smartguard only has 16. I still need more and am adding a 8in8out safety module.
I really don't have the panel space to use the Smartguard. So Omron here I go.
My question is does anyone have experience with communicating with the NE1A through devicenet with an AB processor (5/05 with Scanner module in the Rack).
You use Omrons Network Configurator for the NE1A, RsNetworkx seems to work, havn't tried online yet.

The current setup is as follows

3 Hydraulic Trim Presses
4 Robots
6 Conveyors
Will add
3 NE1A's
3 8in8out Modules

2 of the Presses have 1 robot each, with 2 conveyors
and will get 1 NE1A each with 1 8in8out module
The other Press is the same as above with an extra robot.

I don't have the Rack space to add another Devicenet Scanner either.

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Adam

I used the Omron safety controller with a CompactLogix system almost two years ago. There were also valvebanks and a robot on the DeviceNet. THe only problem I had was the fact that the AB PLC could not read the status of the Omron safety controller. Reading the status of the two Omron safety slaves was fine. Omron blamed AB and AB blamed Omron. I never got the problem resolved.
If I were you, I would use the Smartguard to prevent finger pointing if problems arise.

I used Omron Safety master with Omron Safety slaves. Everything worked fine except for reading the status of the Omron Master. If I remember right, you are suppose to be able to read/monitor the status of the IO but I could not make it happen. THe strange thing was that I was able to read/monitor the status of the safety slaves IO.
This issue may have been solved by now since two years have past.

Hello All,

FYI, there shouldn't be a problem using the NE1A with the AB kit, as the Smartguard 600 Safety controller was actually developed by Omron (and Sick) for AB.
I believe that this was based on the NE1A (just look at a picture of two controllers!).

Hi, I have used a few of these Omron NE1A safety controllers. The problem with not being able to monitor the status of the controllers local I/O rests with OMRON !! One of the first units I installed had exactly this problem on DeviceNet to an Omron CS1.

After some frustration (and time) Omron finally admitted this was a fault with the first generation of controllers. Their answer to the problem was to use explicit messaging to get the I/O status (which worked after much more time)

HOWEVER - All is not lost - the problem has been resolved with the second generation. What I suggest is that when you purchase you NE1A controllers insist on at least firmware version 2.0 This will be printed on the bottom left hand corner of the label attached to the controller just above the lot number - DO NOT accept old stock as this could lead to problems later.

Programming the NE1A: You will need to have the Omron safety devicenet configurator. It cannot be done with Cx-Integrator or RSworkx. This is for the safety program and linking the safety I/O to the controller.

You will need RSworkx (and the omron EDS file) to map the I/O to the devicenet scanner on your PLC.

Don't get me wrong - I think these units are actually very easy to use and have installed a few now.

Happy programming

I got it working.

Omron support sent me a document explaining the post above.
I tried to attach, but its 2 meg.

A little playing, but fairly simple in the end

Thanks to all who posted.

Adam

How did you get the status to display using explicit messaging? I am having the same problem can you go more in detail?

NE1A vs RsNetWorx

I can't see the NE1A through RsNetWorx. The EDS file has been properly installed....How did you make it yours working?

I got it working.

Omron support sent me a document explaining the post above.
I tried to attach, but its 2 meg.

A little playing, but fairly simple in the end

Thanks to all who posted.

Adam[/quote]

Been a long time since I've last used one of these. Since AB came out with their version most people pay the little extra. The ethernet connection was a pretty cool addition to AB's.

But, I found the document I mentioned and can send.
PM your email and I will send.

I got it working.

Here is my e_mail address : [email protected]

It was in my RsNetWorx scanlist, the NE1A was not mapped properly. Since I did its mapping properly, I can see it through RsNetWorx and receive data from the NE1A on my Devicenet network.

I am using a 1769-L32E PLC, 1769-SDN scanner and a NE1A-SCPU02L Omron safety controller.