Can Anyone Identify This Part?

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone help me identify a commercial source for this part. It looks like a roll pin but from a thin sheetmetal. It also has ridges or corrigations whic may not be visible in this picture.

It is shown below between the valve stem and knob. It is used to help friction fit the knob to the shaft.

Several times this roll pin gets lost at our customers but, of course, Rexroth doesn't have a P/N to sell just this piece. o_O

I've tried every search string I could think of in McMaster Carr to no avail but I'm hoping I just don't know what to call it.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Handle_and_knob.jpg

Yes, "spring pin" brings up 1000's of things but all are made to fit into a hole and sized only by the OD. The pin I have goes around the stem and then in the hole in the knob.

Essentially it is providing the "wedge" (for lack of a better term) to hold the knob onto the stem. It is made from a thin gage sheet metal that is rolled and corrigated.

Maybe it is a customer made part?

At the risk of sounding pedantic.... šŸ»

If you replace the entire valve, what does that cost?

If you spend a whole day or more looking for a replacement pin/bushing, what does that cost?

Customer doesn't like the Glue idea because the valves go under a plate w/ a slot in it that has nomenclature of the valve functions.

Glue it on and the next time the vavle is serviced someone is breaking something.

Replacing the whole valve would be fine if it was a one (or two) time thing but this is on hundreds of valves per year.

They are loosing hundreds of bushings every year? Sounds like Rexroth has a new cash cow.

I'm pretty sure McMaster Carr has set screw knobs. But then the techs would loose the set screws. o_O

where I work we were having a simular situation, we solved it by drilling out the knob and epoxying a female threaded insert in it and then chasing threads onto the rod then the knob is still removable when servicing is needed.

I believe what you are looking for is called an insert. they come in all kinds of flavors so you may want to call McMaster Carr before you order.

Personaly I would thread the end of the shaft and get threaded inserts. Probably save you alot of trouble later on.

I went through the "inserts" on mcmaster.com to no avail. All of those are threaded. This is not.

I really think RR must have the part made.

The customer will have to live with their sloppy workmanship or pay for some mods but I know what they will do. Continue to complain to us but not spend any more money to upgrade their parts.

Thanks for all the effort people.

Hi Norm,

Can you give me the part number of the valve assy.? I have a friend at RR that may be able to source it from a build sheet. He has been known to pull rabbits out of his hat for me in the past.

I looked around and found this http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hweckhardt.com/engfasteners/selfsufficient/knob_to_shaft.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hweckhardt.com/engfasteners/selfSufficient.htm&h=158&w=144&sz=29&hl=en&start=50&tbnid=0zbxhTHGKCA6VM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dknob%2Bretainer%2Bclip%26start%3D40%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
it looks like it is what you are looking for. Scroll down to "knob to shaft fasteners". Your compression ring looks longer but you may be able to stack two together.

Last edited: